Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus program recommendations!

• Please log in to reply

Sly

Sly

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello all!

I need a very good Antivirus program. I've had Norton Antivirus Pro. before but everybody says it's useless??

Some people have told me AVG is very good but I use a "free" edition right now so I don't know if I should trust it or not.

What do you think about Kaspersky? Any better suggestions?

Thanks!

Ps. I use win XP pro.

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I use the free version of AVG and I am very happy with it. I use to pay for McAfee, but this is just as good. IMHO

:tazz:

Excal

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I see...so you mean it should be trusted?

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I wouldn't use it, if i didn't trust it.

Excal

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
AVG does really well on virus test. Test it yourself if you're brave enough :) But in my humble opinion AVG is great, and I did test it myself. I believe the free version is just as good as the pro version, just lacks a few features. The feature that matters, virus detection, is the same!

No antivirus program is perfect, but yes for the most part you should trust AVG free.

I use to pay for McAfee, but this is just as good.

AVG runs circles around McAfee or Norton, no doubt there in my mind :)
I have no experience with Kaspersky so I can't say. But other antivirus products I do recommend: Avast! is an excellant Free anti-virus programs, and F-Prot For Windows and Nod32 are not free but highly thought of. All of these AVG included do great on any legitimate virus test. Look around online. :tazz:

It seems to me you are suspicious of free programs and would rather pay. A strange attitude to me who feels it is Immoral to sell code. goes against everything I believe in and stand for that's why I'm not a programmer by profession but I am a programmer as a hobby with a Math/CS degree.

If you must pay ;) buy AVG Pro or NOD32. ;)

Edited by StarHawk, 27 May 2005 - 06:20 PM.

santurce55

santurce55

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Good info, but not only that you can also get SPYBOT-SEARCH and AD-WARE, free and are recommended by windows XP...you can find these program in the Windows update website... :tazz:

Edited by santurce55, 27 May 2005 - 06:54 PM.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Good point santurce55

For more info:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.

Sly

Sly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your useful information guys!

StarHawk: Yes, I've also heard about NOD32 and I guess I should trust freewares much more as well. Now I'm confused which one to choose! Let's say you need an antivirus program and you have AVG freeware and NOD32 infront of you.....which one would you, yourself, really choose??

bossmanuk

bossmanuk

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, i use AVG Free antivirus and it is great, alos, if you want to try it, you can download the AVG professional edition and have it for 30 days for free!

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Sly

Let's say you need an antivirus program and you have AVG freeware and NOD32 infront of you.....which one would you, yourself, really choose??

I use AVG free, but I'd like to try NOD32 for a while. It has a great track record. Maybe better than AVG. So if money were no issue, I'd try NOD32 on at least one machine but keep AVG on the rest. So I'd choose both only not both running on the same machine. :tazz:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

It seems to me you are suspicious of free programs and would rather pay. A strange attitude to me who feels it is Immoral to sell code. goes against everything I believe in and stand for that's why I'm not a programmer by profession but I am a programmer as a hobby with a Math/CS degree.

If you must pay  ;) buy AVG Pro or NOD32. :tazz:

View Post

I totally agree on selling code. ;)

As for which AV to use, go with the free version of AVG...It is the virus detection that counts and thats the same in the free edition as well as the one you pay for.
:)