Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hyopothetical build...

• Please log in to reply

RocketWild

RocketWild

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Was wondering if this server mobo can be used for:
*gaming (sli)
*video-editing
*heavy graphic design
*competing with a mac pro :s

as well, the specs are a bit lacking, and i have tried to google for the specs. if anyone can help me find more info about it, that would be cool...
*FSB
*Reliability
*any benchmarks
*SLI cap?
*stress test etc..

*i have no interest in OCing*

i wanna couple this with some of these, and some cheap ram, but if anyone knows how to build an AMD counterpart of a MAC Pro (cheaper parts help :D), then that would be cool. the case being, i want above performance but dont wanna dish out and get an apple product...
as well, if anyone knows if a G34 or C32 CPU is better, im all ears.

By the way, this WORKSTATION would be for every day use; windows 7, movie editing, browsing, rendering, not to be used as a server...

PS, if anyone knows an easier/cheaper way of going about doin this, i will kindly take your suggestions/help.

Edited by RocketWild, 25 December 2010 - 05:57 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It has one PCI Ex x16 slot. No SLI or crossfire.

That board takes registered RAM only, which is, like, very much more expensive than non registered RAM. Also overclock on these isn't really possible, or even advised.
Reliability wise, it's a server board, they're supposed to be solid.

If you want it for everyday use and what you're said, you'll do far better to simply build an AM3 based solution. You'll also probably get it cheaper than the cost of the memory for the server board.

RocketWild

RocketWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for your input, but most "regular" builds wont amount to 8-12 cores. as i said mate, this hypothetical build is for heavy graphic design, rendering as well as EDU. but the main focus is to make a build that can handle extreme conditions :D

Thank you for mentioning that the Mobo takese "very much more expensive ... RAM", do you have any suggestions for alternative mobos that have multiple sockets, takes the previously stated CPU as well as cheap-o ram?
Side note, i have no interest in OCing
and it has 2 PCI express 16x, third frame

Edited by RocketWild, 22 December 2010 - 05:52 PM.

RocketWild

RocketWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Bump. HALP