Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Toshiba TE2100 Model # PT210C-082L1. I am getting blue screens of death. First one occured in October "A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated." I think it happened while I was working but it may have been shortly after booting. I tried rebooting in safe mode, managed to do a virus check.. but it crashed again. I tried the "last known configuration where computer worked"... not the exact wording but somelike like that. I finally gave up and it has been sitting unused since then. Today I tried again and it gave this message when trying to boot. "Bad RTC Battery. Bad Checksum (CMOS) Check system Then press F1 key." I had no idea how to check system. I hit the F1 key, confirmed that was what I wanted to do and it booted up fine. Reset the date and time and the computer was working. Updated windows, updated antivirus program and ran it. HTML/infected.webpage.gen was discovered and fixed. Tonight my husband played a game for about half and hour and another blue screen popped up. This time it was "Kernel_data_inpage_error." I think that the first time I tried to reboot I got this message "a disk read error occured." Then it did boot ok, but crashed and again gave the Kernel data error message. I have tried rebooting, rebooting in safe mode. The first couple of times it worked fine. I had the desktop up but then it would crash again. Now it will not finish loading my desktop and I get either the blue screen again or a black screen or it just shuts off.
Now, about two hours after the last attempt I have tried again. It sounds like it is trying to boot but it has taken at least 5 minutes. I did get the windows is starting up message, after a while the screen went black but when I moved the cursor I got the message again...then after several minutes and moving the cursor it said "Please Wait". Screen went black again but it was still making noise... then it shut down.

I have read through a lot of the solutions but have no idea how to use them when I can't even get the computer to stay on. Also, most of what I read assumes that the person needing the help understands basic computer language. I need step by step directions.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edited by 2Darlene, 22 December 2010 - 11:20 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
First about this message: "Bad RTC Battery. Bad Checksum (CMOS) Check system Then press F1 key."
Just replace the RTC battery inside your laptop and this message should not reappear. The RTC battery is there to keep the basic BIUOS information (date, time, boot order ect) when your laptop is not plugged to an AC power. Since the battery seams to be faulty it is why you had to reenter the information in the BIOS.

As for your frequent BSOD the reasons could be many but on a laptop one reason that is the cause often is overheating. Inspect your laptop air vents to see if any dust as accumulated inside and if you are comfortable opening the inside of your laptop check if the processor fan or any other fans are dirty or not.

Next time you start your laptop press F8 many times to enter the Windows Advance Option Menu where you see the options Safe Mode, Last known Good configuration ect and select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

[attachment=46756:last known.JPG]

This will make the computer not restart immediately when a BSOD occurs and leave you time to take note of the error codes (e.g., a STOP 0x0000000A) this will help us pinpoint where the problem might be.

If the problem is dust and you cleaned it using an air compressor bottle or any other way, you might not see these BSOD again but if you do take note of the error codes and let us know.

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your speedy reply. When I opened the lid of my computer this morning it automatically tried to start up. I hit the F8 key several times and a message that I had chosen to use a system restore point.. so I chose to continue. After a minute or so I got this message "The system could not be restarted from it's previous location due to a read failure."
The only option was highlighted "delelt restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.
I tried to start in safe mode. Many lines of print flashed past on the screen. It seemed to stall on the last one for at least a minute
"multi ()) disk (0)......." ending with "system 32\drivers\agp440.sys"
Then a black screen with "Windows xp ® Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr. 100427-1636: survice Pack)
Stayed on this screen for a while.. I was able to move cursor so I assume the computer had not froze up
then the windows is starting screen for a minute or so
then I got the original blue screen that I had gotten in Oct. It did not give me enough time to write down the codes and shut off.
I think that the first time the code was 0x000000F4
Codes on the kernel_data_inpage_error message from yesterday were 0x0000007A (0xc03E1008 0xc000000E 0xG8402016 0x0FE74860
I did try blowing on the vents. If I get brave enough to take the back off the computer is there anything I have to watch out for? Are any parts likely to fall off in my lap? :D
an hour later.. I have tried again.. this time I get this message. "Windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt. \windows\system32\config\system\ You can sttempt to repari this file by starting windows setup using the original setup Cd rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"
I do not think that I have this CD... got the computer through ebay

Edited by 2Darlene, 23 December 2010 - 09:43 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
"The system could not be restarted from it's previous location due to a read failure."

Could mean either a corrupt system file or a damage hard disk.

0x000000F4 here is the description of that error code:
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive.

0x0000007A here is the description of that error code:
A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

Everything seems to be pointing toward your hard drive either it is faulty or your system files are corrupt.

What kind of XP cd you have or do you have a Toshiba recovery CD/DVD that came with it or is it a recovery partion on your hard drive you have in case you needed to reinstall XP.

If you have a regular retail XP cd then we can work on correcting your system files if this is the problem and not the Hard Disk itself.

If you have a recovery cd from Toshiba the options are limited

If you have a recovery partition you have even less option, a recovery partition will reinstall XP to its original factory built setup, meaning will be like it was when you bought it but also meaning erasing any personal data you have on your laptop at this moment.

With a retail XP cd we can enter the recovery console and rebuild your file system, run checkdisk for errors and even fix your boot sector (MBR).

All these steps can take a long time and be time consuming but if you absolutely want to keep your laptop to how it was before it started having problems (keeping your personal date) then it can be done.

If you want to keep your personal data but do not wish to do a lenghty repair job e can save your data (if it is still accesible) to another computer and reinstall XP fresh.

If you have no personal data (or you already do regular back up of your personal data) that you desire to keep and do not mind deleting everything on your hard drive we can do a fresh install. This would be the easiest and quickest way.

All those options are assuming your Hard drive is not damage, if it is damage then only a new Hard Drive will fix your problem. If your Hard drive is damage but still somewhat accessible we can also ty to save any important data on it before throwing it away.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I did try blowing on the vents. If I get brave enough to take the back off the computer is there anything I have to watch out for? Are any parts likely to fall off in my lap? :D

From what I have read and the information you have given me i do not think you will have to check the insdie of your laptop, and ro reasaure you unless you are very careless only removing the back panel will not lead to parts falling off.

an hour later.. I have tried again.. this time I get this message. "Windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt. \windows\system32\config\system\ You can sttempt to repari this file by starting windows setup using the original setup Cd rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"
I do not think that I have this CD... got the computer through ebay

Again seems like corrupt files or damage hard drive (bad sectors). If you have no Cd you must probably have a recovery partition, when your start your laptop do you see an option to tap something like F10 or F2 ect to enter recovery menu.

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just tried again and this time windows started. I had my desk top. Decided to check the file on desktop that has free programs in it, thinking that the recovery files might be stored there and I could make a CD. But they are not there. The computer froze so that I could not even close the file. Turned it off with the on/off switch. Before I did that it was making odd scratchy/screeching noises.
So, I definitely do not have a recovery disk.
I assume that there is no partion recovery because that one message said I could attempt to fix by using the recovery disk

Edited by 2Darlene, 23 December 2010 - 10:31 AM.

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That one message said that I could attempt to fix by using the original Setup cd rom. Would that mean that there is not recovery partion?

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Before we go to all the trouble of trying to fix this is there any way to know if the disk itself is damaged?
Assuming that I can start it again how do I make a backup t a flash drive?

Edited by 2Darlene, 23 December 2010 - 10:51 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Before we go to all the trouble of trying to fix this is there any way to know if the disk itself is damaged?

Yes you need to know what is the madel name of your Hard Disk (Seagatem Western Digital, Maxtor ect) and go to there website and download the bootable cd utility to analyse your hard disk. If you do not know what is your HD model you will have to either go in your BIOS menu (setup menu) to see it or just open the Hard Disk enclosure and look at it manually.

Once you have downloaded the program (hopefully if the option is there a bootable ISO image of the program) you will have to burn it to a cd.

Once burned you will go in your BIOS setup menu and change your boot order so that your CD/DVD-rom is first in your boot order, insert the disk save your new BIOS setup and reboot your laptop.

Follow the instruction and it will analyse and tell you if your Hard drive is healthy or damage.

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for all your help so far. I am not sure how much more time I can spend on this today...still have tons of stuff to do to get ready for Christmas. I will see if I can get the model name.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Thanks for all your help so far. I am not sure how much more time I can spend on this today...still have tons of stuff to do to get ready for Christmas. I will see if I can get the model name.

I understand, we are all busy this time of year, go at your own pace. will do my best to help as soon as i can if i am available. If I am not I am sure other people here will help you.

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The computer crashed again (before I could get the info) with the original blue screen message this time.
Think I better stop now and get to Christmas wrapping... I will most likely leave this until the new year.

2Darlene

2Darlene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
btw, have a good holiday.