Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Not Booting Up

• Please log in to reply

freakwizard

freakwizard

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I don't know if I'm posting in the right board for this problem, so apologies if I am not.

I'm going to first state the hardware my computer consists of:

Intel DG41RQ Motherboard
2 x 1GB Kingston RAM cards
Intel Dual Core E5400 Processor at 2.7 ghz each
Realtek LAN Card (Recently Installed)

I rely on the inbuilt soundcard and onboard graphics.

So about 2 days ago when I booted up my computer I realized that I didn't have internet. Apparently the light wasn't blinking on the inbuilt LAN port. (Nothing wrong with cable or router) So I opened up the computer and just slightly pressed on the inbuilt LAN port box, and installed the External Realtek LAN Card I had in my posession. And now just for the sake of the testing it out, I inserted the cable into the inbuilt LAN port and it worked!? However, I re-inserted the cable into the external LAN card for safe measure.

Today however, I was playing Nimbus (video game) and when I finished playing the game, I realized I didn't have any sound afterwards. I couldn't listen to music or practically speaking there was no audio at all. So I switched off the computer twice and put it on again, and I still didn't have any sound at all. I was confused now, since the inbuilt LAN port is near the audio ports where I plug in my headset, so I took out the LAN cable and inserted it into the inbuilt LAN port and it worked. I took it off again and put it into the external LAN card port and all of sudden while the connection was being established my computer froze. I manually switched it off but it didn't come on at all afterwards.

Now I'm using Windows XP and as my anti-virus I used Avast Free Edition (updated) and I'm not really sure why my sound went off all of a sudden, whether the cable switch had anything to do with it, whether inserting the external LAN card had anything to do with it and mainly why my computer isn't booting up anymore at all? Are maybe the drivers corrupt? Anything wrong with the onboard video?

I opened up the computer and powered it on and both the processor fan and the PSU fan were working as well.

I'm thoroughly confused as for what to do and any help would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks...

PS: When I power on the computer now I only receive one beep. I believe it was two earlier when it was working well.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Are you able to go into the BIOS menu or nothing happens at all anymore, if able to enter at least the BIOS menu try these steps.

If you cannot do anything it might be your motherboard the problem or your PSU (PSU will still deliver enough power for fans to work even if they cannot deliver enough to boot up the motherboard, you need constant power for motherboard), remove all cards except one stick of ram, plug it in your onborad video but if not working try if you can a addin video card (PCI express or just PCI if nothing else available).

If still not booting up swap your PSU for a good known working one and if still not working then your motherboard might be gone.

You should disable in your BIOS the inbuilt LAN if you are using an addin card.

Pressing on your inbuilt LAN connectors was not a good idea. It may have cause a short on your motherboard

As for the sound problem, if it is not fixed by disabling in BIOS your inbuilt LAN then i would check these steps.

First check in Device Manager to see if your soundcard is ther and has no yellow question mark beside it
Second got to audio option and see what is the default device for sound playback, if your sound card but still no sound
Third go back to Device Managerr and uninstall your soundcard
Fourth reboot and let windows reinstalls the driver, if windows cannot reinsall them manually
Fith if after all that still no sound you can buy a PCI soundcard to ix the issue, making to disable in the BIOS your inbuilt soundcard

If after adding a new PCI soundcard your sound works then it is good but I would still be wary that since two of your inbuilt devices failed in a short period of time it might mean your motherboard as an issue and who knows what will be next.

Hope that helps

Edited by Alzeimer, 23 December 2010 - 08:26 AM.

freakwizard

freakwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay, My computer is going nuts.

I came back home after work, and tried putting my computer on again. Didn't work. So I tried taking a stick of RAM out and then putting it back on again, and this time, I put the computer on and it keeps beeping but nothing is appearing on the screen. So I believe I read somewhere that if the computer keeps beeping it means there is a memory error, so I kinda made sure the stick of RAM i took out was properly inserted again by very slightly pushing it down. I put the computer on again, and Voila, it works and it comes on.

BUT...As it comes on, it freezes and I restart. It freezes again and I restart. It freezes again and I...*sigh*...restart. This time when it comes on, it doesn't freeze. I notice my firewall was off so I put it on. I realized the sound was still not working. So I tried what you told me Alzheimer I uninstalled the drive and restarted the PC twice but I was still not getting any sound into my headphones. Then just for the sake, of trying, I plugged in my speakers into the audio port and I GOT SOUND O_O So I believe, it was a stupid headphone problem all along. I think.

Anyways, I removed the External LAN Card and I'm using the inbuilt LAN card with no problems. The reason being was when I powered on my computer after the RAM stick scenario, I was getting a "Limited or No Connectivity" on the external LAN Card. So I took it off and inserted the cable into the inbuilt LAN card and Enabled it and the internet works!

I feel something is very wrong here, either I have a problem with my drivers or my motherboard or some part of the computer is getting faulty.

Is there anyway I can conduct a diagnosis on Windows XP to prove there is nothing wrong with my motherboard/RAM/Hard Drives ?

I'd really like to detect the problem as early as possible, since my warranty is still fresh.

Thanks for the help again :D

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

I'd really like to detect the problem as early as possible, since my warranty is still fresh.

Thanks for the help again :D

If you are still under warranty I would bring it in before doing any more playing with the inside (so to make sure not to void any warranty clauses).

freakwizard

freakwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

If you are still under warranty I would bring it in before doing any more playing with the inside (so to make sure not to void any warranty clauses).

I understand. However, since I purchased the computer from abroad, bringing it in for replacements might be a problem. If this problem does occur again however, I plan on taking it to a repair shop.

I must also add that before all of this happened, there have been a few rare and random times that my computer automatically rebooted itself. It happened maybe around 3 times in the 3 months that I have been using the computer.

Does this reflect any other problem unforeseen?

Edited by freakwizard, 23 December 2010 - 11:48 AM.

freakwizard

freakwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
By the way, I just ran IntelBurnTest on recommendation of my best friend.

The test was successfully passed and these are my results according to the displayed settings it was run on.

Posted Image