Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop power jack

• Please log in to reply

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Howzit
I have a Toshiba laptop. I have taken it apart a couple of times trying to fix the power jack puka, it is loose inside. Builders have put pieces of rubber to hold the jack in place from the inside, but its not holding any longer. I tried resetting them, but it will not stay tight, and intermittently charges. I can either glue the jack to the frame, hold it with more rubber pieces, or altogether weld a new jack to the power line.
When I looked inside, nothing appears broken, it just has too short of a line on it to fit correctly. I'm afraid if I glue it, it won't hold right, or worse, still not charge correctly and I'll still need to replace the jack, and then have to go thru glue, which will make that repair worse...more difficult. The last time I took it apart, I plugged the power cord,(powerless.. unhooked from the wall) into the jack, and it fit snug. But I cannot tell if it gets power, and I would like to know if there is a way I can do this with the computer open, or if I should just go full on and replace the jack entirely. Its hard to tell if any fix works, until after its closed up and restarted.
I've never soldered before, so I'm kinda worried about that, which is the most important part! And to me the wire looks real short, no room for error. So I guess I'm just trying everything else...all the easier stuff-- before I just cut the jack off and try replacing it. Thank you for your time, help much appreciated! :D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Options for you to consider;
Have a look at the link and see if you feel confident about taking the soldering job on (example Toshiba used)
http://www.laptoprep...r-jack-problem/

I can either glue the jack to the frame,

Glue and computers are a recipe for disaster, heat, dust etc
Shop local and see what price a Tech would charge for the repair and then consider if the repair is financially viable.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Sorry for the late reply, thanks, I got it. I just used eraser parts to hold it tight. :D
Good info if it dies again, thank you.