Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTA Series

• Please log in to reply

k9unit_k19

k9unit_k19

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
HEy guys,

So I finally went out and got the real thing. It was working fine, but all of a sudden i have a huge problem. In both GTA3 and Vice City, my character is strafing left without me pressing anything. I have restarted several times but it continues to do this. Can anyone help me out!!?! It was working perfectly before, but all of a sudden it jsut happened. Thanx.

-K9

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Sounds like you may need a new keyboard. Try cleaning it out because the key may be stuck.

k9unit_k19

k9unit_k19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
But outside of the game, my keyboard is fine. Both "left" and "a" aren't stuck when I'm not playing. Only when GTA3 or Vice City are running.

k9unit_k19

k9unit_k19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
If it helps at all, it seems like teh GTA3 strafe left is not going "as left" as the Vice City one. Its hard to explain, but its like someone is pressing left harder in the Vice City one. Plus, its only in the GTA games, its fine for every other game I have, including Max Payne 2, also made by Rockstar. Hope that helps.

-K9

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Can you go into the controller setup in the game to see what button is used to strafe? Thanks. <_<

k9unit_k19

k9unit_k19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hey,

The strafe keys are left and right arrows, and also "a" and "d". However, I doubt that it's the keyboard anymore - I opened it and tried my best to clean it. But something even more confusing happened:

When I re-opened the game today, I was strafing right. Then, after I restarted the computer, I was going forward. Now, I'm going left again. Again, there are no problems with these keys outside of the game, or in any other games. THanx.

-K9

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Try reinstalling them.

k9unit_k19

k9unit_k19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Here's something even weirder. I was running Norton Anti-Virus scans, and also a Norton Windows repair app, and it worked fine after this. To check, I restarted the computer, and it still worked.

BUT!!!, when I switched it on the next day it was going forward again. Then I ran a different scan and it switched back to normal. So I continued playing the game, but then, all of a sudden, after having been in the game for about 20 minutes, IT STARTED GOING LEFT AGAIN.

Also, if its Going fine in Vice City, It will be going fine in GTA3, and vice versa. I am hesitant to re-install due to my save games.

-K9

k9unit_k19

k9unit_k19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Back again,

Have reinstalled game and no luck. I am now moving forward and left. But When I enter a car, and am not pressing anything, the car is not moving. As soon as I go forward though, the car pushes forward and left. I am positive now that it is A PROBLEM WITH THE GAME - its in BOTH VICE CITY AND GTA3.

-K9

bryhhh

bryhhh

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Back again,

Have reinstalled game and no luck. I am now moving forward and left. But When I enter a car, and am not pressing anything, the car is not moving. As soon as I go forward though, the car pushes forward and left. I am positive now that it is A PROBLEM WITH THE GAME - its in BOTH VICE CITY AND GTA3.

-K9

View Post

I've got exactly the same problem with both GTAIII and GTAVC. No stuck keys, no problems in any other games. I even have a KVM, and switching over to another system doesn't show any sign of these key presses. Switch back, and my character has still been straffing left whilst the console was on the other box.

Only seen this since installing XP SP2, but that could be a coinsidense. - I've had the KVM for ages - that isn't the problem.

bryhhh

bryhhh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just managed to work out what the problem is (in my case at least)

I have a USB steering wheel attached, and when ever it is nudged, it seems to take over control of the game. As my steering wheel was left in a left position, my character (and cars) always tended to move left. Fixed by centering the wheel. <_<

freek

freek

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

But outside of the game, my keyboard is fine. Both "left" and "a" aren't stuck when I'm not playing. Only when GTA3 or Vice City are running.

View Post

Sounds like you need to "blow" out your Keyboard, I had that problem on Vice City with my controller, try it.

St@mpEdO

St@mpEdO

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Maybe he should try to switch the button for the "left", let`s say for an "enter" or a "backspace", or some other not very often used button, and then see what`s happening... <_<