Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't load .VHD file after backup

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have a D-Link DNS-323 RAID enclosure, over a wired home network, with two 1TB hard drives (so 1TB with a backup.) I set up (through Computer management under administrative tools) a 500 GB dynamic Virtual Hard Drive on it, and backed up a system image of my Windows 7 Home Premium Laptop (about 186 GB used in total.) The next day, I tried to mount the VHD file, but got this error:

"The version does not support this version of the file format."

I googled the problem and read something about adding the line "strict allocate = yes" to a file called "smb.conf" to fix the problem, but I don't know where to find it. Is this the problem, and if so, how can I find this .conf file?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by WhydoIask?, 23 December 2010 - 11:45 AM.

Advertisements

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I believe waiting a week is a good length of time before I ask again. I would like to have this dealt with before my laptop crashes, as it will eventually.

Thanks again.