Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

On Mac - Problem playing You tube videos.

• Please log in to reply

silvermine

silvermine

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I'm using a Mac 10.6.5 and Safari 5.0.3.

Recently, I am able to play YouTube videos if they are on secondary websites, or in emails, but not on the YouTube main site.
When the video page opens on the YouTube website, it is black. It does not play. Error on bottom of page is "One error in opening the page. For more information, choose Window>Activity.
Opening the 'Windows > Activity' screen, it says "http://s.ytimg.com/y...180098.swf"---- not found. I am unable to find this problem in a search.
I have made sure the latest versions of Flash and Shockwave are installed.
Can you help me? ;) ;) :D

Advertisements

Odal

Odal

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Do you have any addons or extensions installed?

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Thank you for your reply. :D
I don't think anything has been added in quite a long time. For awhile I was frequenting a Mac website that featured new add-ons.
I know some were stored on this plug in page. Attached File  plugins.tiff   78.89KB   612 downloads
I trashed and put back the ones I thought might be related to my problems. Deleting one by one, none seemed to fix my problem.
Where else can I find add ons and extensions?

Odal

Odal

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I know the extensions are stored in /User/Library/Safari/Extensions and you can see them via Safari Preferences - Extensions. But you should know if you had installed any so I don't think that's the issue. I would recommend posting on mac os x forums--you'll probably get better help there. But first, can you try reinstalling Flash? Are you running the 10.2 beta? If not, maybe try that. Make sure to use the uninstaller first before reinstalling.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Thanks again for your reply.
I have already reinstalled flash. No items under the extension page. I can register and try the other site. What is 10.2 beta?

Odal

Odal

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
It is the newest build of Flash. I am running it right now, and it really cuts down on CPU use too.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Got a link?

Odal

Odal

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
http://labs.adobe.co...shplayer10.html

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
32 bit only? Or am I just dumb? Which download do I chose? Yeah me= dumb. ;)
BTW
I am seeing that some (not all) of the videos are playing with audio only.
Out of curiosity, I tried downloading these audio only videos using my RealPlayer Downloader. The video plays fine on this player. :D

Edited by silvermine, 24 December 2010 - 02:17 PM.

sommerpears

sommerpears

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would think about just uninstalling and reinstalling the browers. Maybe something was deleted by accident. Starting from scratch is usually a good patch to fix problems you can't identify.

Skuggstig

Skuggstig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If i may say an suggestion, try using HTML5, there is a neat addon on safari called "youtube5" That will auto all streams available in HTML5 to HTML5. Otherwise it's in flash. Give it a try. As a plus, the Mac does not have to go up to overdrive when you only want to play a simple clip.