Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pent m vs pent 4

• Please log in to reply

n6417

n6417

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys...ive been lookin at laptops recently and im lookin to spend a little under 1500...im not particularly worried about mobility as i am gaming (i know i know...i should just get a desktop and build it myself and spend probly half the amount of money...but its what i want so)
my question is what kind of processor should i go with? pent 4 or pent M? I read somewhere that a pent M running at 1.4 will run about the same as a pent 4 at 2.4 but the problem is i dont want a pent 4 at 2.4 im lookin at pent 4 at 3.0 or so...the pent M that are in my price range are around 1.6 to 1.8 so any suggestions? and also a ATI video card runnin w/ 128 mb think that would be enough?....thanks in advance

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
the processor go with pentium 4 if you want the speed. Also the video cards memory may be 128 but if it is an older model it still won't play the game. Make sure it is a radeon atleast 9200 or better if going with ati. I have a 128mb vid card in my laptop and it is a 345m it has the 128 but since it is not a high model it can't do the things newer games require so it still won't run them.

n6417

n6417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well i guess my question then would be if i got a pent M would it perform...cause iknow a pent 4 running at over 3.0 would be more then necessary but how about a pent M runnin at around 1.6 w/ 756mb or a gig of ram w/ like a 128 mb

and the video card that im lookin at is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
that should be fine when playing a game the processor is the least important my processor is only .6ghz or 600mhz. But i have a good vid. card and a alot of ram and can play any game fine. either processor will be fine the pentium m is just designed for notebooks to use less power to get better battery life. it is really up to you if you got that much ram and radeon 9000 you should be fine with either.