Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't post or boot after switching case

• Please log in to reply

ShawdowWulf

ShawdowWulf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I upgraded from a mid tower to a full tower. Have upgraded my computer many times so I'm pretty familiar with taking everything apart and putting it back together. I put everything together and it wouldn't boot, it wasn't recognizing the ram. I pulled out 2 sticks of ram, and it booted, I checked all 4 sticks and all worked but I could only use 2 slots. It started running extremely slow after no time at all so I tried turning it off and putting the ram back in to see if it would recognize and wouldn't. Tried to reset the CMOS by the battery. After which it came up saying there was a new processor, but never went past that screen. Turned it off, after which it would not boot or post, no display at all on the monitor. A buddy had a spare motherboard so I tried hooking it up, before I put it in the case we put power to it and it posted, put it in the case, no post or anything.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi ShawdowWulf, :D

If the computer boots with everything installed on the bench but fails to boot in the case, I would suspect a possible short,

A misaligned or extra stand off under the Mobo.
The wrong I/O shield,did you transfer the one from your old case?

There may be a damaged memory slot. A thoroughly look with the aid of a magnifying glass may reveal the problem. Find out which slots work, which don't, then see if all the ram is OK in the good slots and if any at all work in the faulty slots.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Have you checked that your FRONT PANEL I\O connectors are not the faulty ones here, if you say when out of the case boots up normal but when in case no boot, so it has to be the I\O switches or the motherboard is touching something inside the case that is creating a short.

Try only plugging the POWER wire to your motherboard when it is in the case to see if it boots, if yes then puts each other one by one until you find the culprit.

If even after putting only the POWER wire it will not boot up try using the RESET switch in the POWER connector and try to boot by pressing the RESET switch (instead of the power) and see if it boots, if yes then the POWER wire is the culprit

===============================================================================================

"it wasn't recognizing the ram. I pulled out 2 sticks of ram, and it booted, I checked all 4 sticks and all worked but I could only use 2 slots. It started running extremely slow after no time at all so I tried turning it off and putting the ram back in to see if it would recognize and wouldn't. Tried to reset the CMOS by the battery. After which it came up saying there was a new processor, but never went past that screen. Turned it off, after which it would not boot or post, no display at all on the monitor

Have you ever changed the processor (upgraded) on your motherbaord, if yes it is probably why that after resetting your CMOS to its default value (meaning value with old processor) you see a message new processor found.

For the ram, have those 4 stick of ram ever work together or was it the first time you were trying them together (some sticks and model are not compatible working together), have you tried cleaning the slots with compress air and if even after that you can only use 2 slots out of the 4 then you have faulty ram slots. What could be the cause, could have been random breakage or when transferring your motherboard you may have shorten your slots by touching metal or something else.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
To add to what iammykyl and Alzeimer have advised please post your MB and Ram details.
Brand, model and any revision number for the MB and brand and specs of the 4 sticks of Ram.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Merry Christmas guys, off to wrap presents.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

If you managed to sort out your problems please let us know what the issue was and the results as it may help others on the forum.

Thanks.