Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista will only boot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

junew

junew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, following, (in red) is the post i first entered in the "computer wont boot malware related) forum. I recieved advice, followed all the instructions, and it still didnt work. The person helping me advised me to try this forum and see if anyone can help

My son had left my pc on overnight, and he was using an "autobot" for the game runescape.

When i went to it in the morning, the screen was blank.

I switched off at the power point, and then rebooted after about 5mins.

The monitor was looking like some pixels were missing, and it took ages to get to the login screen. When i did get there, as soon as i logged in the pc restarted itself.
It will start in safe mode.
I ran the installation disc, and used repair computer, the first time it told me there were no problems, and i tried to boot, but again the same problem. I then did the repair again, and it said it was reparing problems. This took quite a while. Again i tried to reboot, but no luck. I ran a avg rescue disk, and it found no viruses, but again the pc wouldnt boot.
I have tried system restore, and restored to about a month ago, no luck, it still wont boot.

I have managed to get into safe mode with networking, and have uploaded my files to a web based file storage thingy.

Any ideas on what i can do would be great. Im considering reformating the hard drive, as there is a lot of crap on the pc, and although i would love to delete, am not sure what is important to keep with a lot of it. Is that a wise thing to do, and if so how do I reformat the drive, just run the installation disc again?

I am started to run a chkdsk, and it was going fine, in stage 2 it showed a lot of "incorrects)". Then it just stopped.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
[/color]

Now for some more information. The pc has a touch screen to start it. I find now that it takes me two or three times to start the pc using the "start" button. ( i hope i explained that properly). Also, the computer makes some serious whirring sounds when in use. I have also run a killdisk to wipe the drive, and reinstalled vista from cd, and still no luck booting in normal mode, however i do get safe mode with networking/

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, this will enable others to help you better.
It sounds like the HDD may be failing or the OS has become corrupt, if you know the manufacturer of your HDD you can use their diagnostic tool at this link to find out if it is the drive itself http://www.tacktech....ttid=287#maxtor unfortunately at this time Toshiba do not have such a facility for testing their HDDs but I have heard of people using seatools with success, but I cannot guarantee this.