Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multimedia audio controller

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Doing a re-nstall with windows xp pro sp 3 on a dell dimension 8400, went to the dell driver site and downloaded several missing drivers, however theire were only two drivers for audio, downloaded and installed both yet I still have a question mark unde Mulimedia audio controller.

The PC audio apperantly cannot function without this driver, need hel

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Did you try searching for the drivers by entering your Dell service tag number in the box http://support.dell....anConsent=False
Go into device manager and uninstall the drivers you have downloaded, then return to the Dell homepage, enter your Dell service tag number into the box and let it find your drivers and then download and install them.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
service tag # was 5FYk361 I entered that earlier and downloaded the one audio drive listed there. It was the same one I downloaded when i searched by model #. For some reason the missing drive is not listed on dells site, was hoping there was a generic one i could use.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I will search for one and post back.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
:D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
If you havn`t already done so remove any audio drivers you have tried and then try the drivers from here http://download.cnet...0_4-170204.html there are a few variations of Dell audio drivers but with any luck we will get the right ones first time.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
looks like I had alredy used that driver too

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By chance is it disabled in the bios?

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
It has bios version A03 I'm not sure where to locate the audio settings

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
found it it says integrated audio is on

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then follow post 6 as Phillpower2 is on the right track.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Ok can you try the same procedure with this version http://download.cnet...0_4-196627.html be sure to check out the "read me file" first please.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
says that one will not work with xp only vista, tried to upgrade to vista earlier and the upgade did not complete

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The driver on the Dell page is the correct driver.
You said:

For some reason the missing drive is not listed on dells site, was hoping there was a generic one i could use.

What driver are you saying is not listed? The driver listed is the right one.
The other option is the audio controller has failed. That would answer why the correct driver will not work.
Have you updated all the Microsoft updates to SP3 and the critical updates?
Also have you checked the optional updates to see if there is one there for the audio controller?

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
The new installation is from windows xp prp sp3, when i said the driver was not on the site, I meant that I had downloaded and used the 2 audid drivers on the dell site and was still getting the same yellow question mark and no audio. I cannot figure out what the computer is looking for if it's not one of the drivers on the site.