Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multimedia audio controller

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I still have a question mark unde Mulimedia audio controller.

The PC audio apperantly cannot function without this driver, need hel

What you need is Microsoft UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) Bus driver find this driver and your soundcard will be able to work.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How are you updating?
What steps exactly are you taking to update the driver?

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
download from the dell site through firefox and then run the exe driver file

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Here is the link to download it

http://www.downloada...tion-audio.html

As long as this driver is not install your soundcard even with the proper drivers will not work.

This is the English version, if your XP is in another language you need the Multi Language Version

Edited by Alzeimer, 24 December 2010 - 02:45 PM.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
downloade the driver you suggested and still no audio the yell question mark is still there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

says that one will not work with xp only vista, tried to upgrade to vista earlier and the upgade did not complete

Post #12 be sure to check out the "read me file" first please

Note 2: On Windows XP/2000 (early versisn of 2003) you need to install a QFE to allow an HD Audio driver
to installation. This QFE is made available by Microsoft, and it is required to update Operating
System components before installing the audio driver. The QFE contains the required files and a
readme which outlines installation procedure. This QFE and these files are distributed by Microsoft
only, please contact them directly if you need to get them.

Guys is it possible that this issue has been caused by the drivers not being re-installed in order as Dell recommend http://support.dell....r_install_order

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
ok, I'm lost, never heard of qfe, normally I just download the drivers and the audio works

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Me too, but were you aware of this http://support.dell....r_install_order

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
found a qfe update but it only works for HP desktops anyone know where I can get one for a dell computer.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I have been reading other people Lots and lots of them) with a Dell Dimension 8400 who had similar issues as you and a lot fixed their problem by going to Creative labs to download the driver because if you look at the Dell site driver download for the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS it is a patch upgrade. What you need is the full driver from Creative not just a patch.

Hope this will help

Edited by Alzeimer, 24 December 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Have you tried a restore point as described in your user manual on page 57;
To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.
2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
Restoring the Computer to an Earlier Operating State
If problems occur after you install a device driver, use Device Driver Rollback (see page 55) to
resolve the problem. If that is unsuccessful, then use System Restore.
NOTICE: Before you restore the computer to an earlier operating state, save and close any open files
and exit any open programs. Do not alter, open, or delete any files or programs until the system
restoration is complete.
1 Click the Start button, point to All Programs→ Accessories→ System Tools, and then click
System Restore.
2 Ensure that Restore my computer to an earlier time is selected and click Next.
3 Click a calendar date to which you want to restore your computer.
The Select a Restore Point screen provides a calendar that allows you to see and select restore
points. All calendar dates with available restore points appear in boldface type.
4 Select a restore point and click Next.
If a calendar date has only one restore point, then that restore point is automatically selected.
If two or more restore points are available, click the restore point that you prefer.
5 Click Next.
The Restoration Complete screen appears after System Restore finishes collecting data and
then the computer restarts.
6 After the computer restarts, click OK.
To change the restore point, you can either repeat the steps using a different restore point, or you
can undo the restoration.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Maybe if this isnt working because of a bad audio controller, you could try a PCI sound card. Then get the drivers for that and change the bios to use the add on sound card.
But usually the controllers dont fail, so thats a last resort thing.
Audio cards are cheap though.

I noticed Dell has not been keeping the driver site up to snuff, I have a Dell Dimension 4700 and had problems finding the sound driver for a reinstall of xp a couple of weeks ago. I had the driver saved to a cd, so that saved my bacon.

Edited by rosiesdad, 24 December 2010 - 03:19 PM.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Downloding now, let you know how it turns out

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
wrong driver the sound card is old - a sound blaster sb0410 - trying to look for it on the creative site

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the sound onboard or are you talking a add on card?