Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop doesn't turn on

• Please log in to reply

Twinbird

Twinbird

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I don't know if this is the right place to post this (the laptop has Vista installed, but I don't think that makes a difference for this problem).

HP Pavilion dv2700 laptop appears to turn on (LEDs light up) but the screen is blank. The screen lights up (the backlight turns on), but the screen still shows nothing, there are no beeps or error codes. An external monitor doesn't show anything either.

The laptop had a similar problem a few months ago: it wasn't showing anything on the screen so I reflowed the GPU and it worked. Now, I reflowed the GPU and two other chips aswell (north birdge and south bridge chips, I think), cleaned out all the dust in the heatsink/ fan, applied new thermal compound, and reseated the RAM and that hasn't changed anything.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The thing with reflowing the graphics chip is that it is only a temporary fix.
The ultimate issue that causes the need to reflow is actually an issue with the way the graphics chip was designed by Nvidia, and unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do. This problem was predominant on HP machines, but not exclusive to them, it affects all Nvidia laptop graphic products.

It would appear that either the graphics chip has packed up altogether now, or the machine has a board problem. Either way, it'll probably be toast now.

Twinbird

Twinbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for the reply.
Looking at replies from other places I've posted, it seems the GPU is gone or the mobo is gone, so it would probably be best to just buy a new laptop.