Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen is black

• Please log in to reply

snooplove

snooplove

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
The screen is black from the moment i press the power button and doesn't do anything....But i can hear all the usual sounds and the fans are workng fine...My monitor is black..I can't turn off the monitor while pc working....That happened when my brother was playing call of duty 4 and wanted to change the graphic resolution and refresh rate...He did that many times cause he had a problem that i can't explain very good(The screen was larger than the monitor and he could see half the screen)
Any help??
I am using windows 7

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi snooplove
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Well...Few minutes ago i found my old gpu..I installed it and now pc is open...My gpu propably was "burnt" and i am going to take the warranty....I bought it less than a month ago....I want to ask sth..If it is burnt the warranty is still active or i will have to buy a new one..
Sorry for bad english

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Can you post the details for both the GFX card that has gone bad and your PSU (power supply unit) as we need to find out what caused the failure.

I want to ask sth..If it is burnt the warranty is still active or i will have to buy a new one..

This will depend on the cause of the failure, if it failed under normal use the warranty should stand, if any over clocking was being done or another component such as the PSU being under powered or faulty has caused it the warranty would be void, if there is no visible damage to the card it may suggest a flaw in the manufacturing process.

Sorry for bad english

Your English is very good :D

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
http://www.hardwareh...den-sample.html this is my gpu
And My psu is lamtec 550 watt...I don't think that psu is the reason cause i asked them if it can handle the gpu and they told me that it can easily

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I don't understand this very good... <<it may suggest a flaw in the manufacturing process.>>

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The 550W output of a good quality PSU such as Corsair or Antec would be more than enough for the card but I am not sure about the lamtec 550 watt, I don`t think it is available in the UK, I see from the attached link you are aware of peoples uncertainty about the quality of lamtec power supplies http://www.geekstogo...ty/page__st__15

I don't understand this very good... <<it may suggest a flaw in the manufacturing process.>>

It means the card may have been made faulty.

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Well if the warranty isn't void and i don't need to give money for the gpu..I will buy a Corsair 650 which is the cheapest...But if the warranty is void is it sure that lamtec can't handle it????
One other question is this gpu good enough for recent games???

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

Edited by snooplove, 25 December 2010 - 11:41 PM.

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
If it isn't would you suggest me another which cost no more than 150 euros??

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

One other question is this gpu good enough for recent games???

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

Depends on what else you have in your system. 650 watts is enough if all of the components in your system that require electricity do NOT pull any more than 650 watts.

Advertisements

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I know that psu is enough i am asking for the gpu that i had and broke down

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes that PSU is more than enough for the failed GPU, all you need to remember when looking at upgrading a GPU is to allow at least 150W or more on top of what the GPU requires, this is to power the rest of the system, this allowance must increase the more hardware you have, multiple HDDs for example.
If you do get a replacement GPU of the same spec as the previous Gainward and your system does not have all sorts of upgrades fitted a good quality 550W PSU will be adequate, have a look at brands such as Antec, Corsair, OCZ as examples, I will try and find you some recommendations that you can obtain in Greece.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Here you go two Thermaltake PSUs for you to consider in the order I would go for and why;
1: Because it will allow you to add further upgrades, it is over 80% energy efficient and it is only 10 Euros more expensive than the 575W model;
http://www.pc-store....17&item_id=1437
2: Because it suits your present requirements, it gives you over the 150W recommended headroom you need and it is over 80% energy efficient; http://www.pc-store....17&item_id=1436
Both PSUs are modular and if you click on the preview tab at both links you can read the full specs.

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I want to add sth...My pc now doesn't open with my old gpu on....It makes 1 long and 3 short beeps...I read that that mean video card failure...this must be the reason that i replaced it years ago....could there be another reason???Tomorrow i go take the warranty.....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Try the Gainward card one more time before you return it, you could also try clearing the CMOS by removing the CR2032 battery on the MB, this will return the MB back to its factory settings so if you get your screen back you will need to go into the BIOS, reset the time and date, save the settings and exit.

Battery image courtesy of rshaffer61