Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated CHKDSK errors

• Please log in to reply

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Merry Christmas!

After noticable system performance degredations with my HD, I ran through the Virus removal forum and got help from a volunteer here and verified I am virus free.

During the process, I ran chkdsk and found several errors, which chkdsk /r corrected. However, I again found errors.

So here's my situation now:

If I run chkdsk /r from the recovery console, all errors are apparently fixed. If I immediately run chkdsk again, I get a confirmation that the disk appears to be fine.

However, when I reboot and run chkdsk from within Windows via CMD window (no options), I get the following:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry pgstat.stat in index $I30 of file 73057.
Deleting index entry PGSTAT~1.STA in index $I30 of file 73057.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

Any suggestions?

Edited by ProsperousOne, 25 December 2010 - 10:42 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are running it as chkdsk and not chkdsk /r
In the mode you are running it then it only reports its findings.
What it could be reporting is a fragmented file which everytime you reboot you will get fragmented files.
try running it this way and see what happens.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Hard Drive Diagnostic Tools

Hard drive diagnostic utilities are used primarily for determining the physical condition of your hard drive, (drive integrity and read/write verification). If you are having computer problems which you suspect are hard drive related, you can test it with one of the following:

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
After an hour, it rebooted successfully. Then I opened the event viewer and reviewed the log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 12/26/2010
Time: 2:54:30 AM
User: N/A
Computer: STEVELAPTOP
Description:
Checking file system on C:
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 4 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

53809717 KB total disk space.
47672860 KB in 130675 files.
56360 KB in 10842 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
299925 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
5780572 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
13452429 total allocation units on disk.
1445143 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
10 5d 03 00 d8 28 02 00 04 31 03 00 00 00 00 00 .]...(...1......
16 1c 00 00 02 00 00 00 8e 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
2a 91 63 0e 00 00 00 00 ec 5f 9c 6c 00 00 00 00 *.c......_.l....
9e 45 74 16 00 00 00 00 a6 77 aa 5f 05 00 00 00 .Et......w._....
e8 78 7f 6f 00 00 00 00 00 ff 5b 62 06 00 00 00 .x.o......[b....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 a8 39 07 00 73 fe 01 00 ..6......9..s...
00 00 00 00 00 70 b8 5d 0b 00 00 00 5a 2a 00 00 .....p.]....Z*..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Since that looked good, I ran just a plain Chkdsk (with no options) from the DOS CMD prompt window. This ran relatively quickly (it previously would slow down and hang at the 50% point in stage 1). Unfortunately, errors are still appearing:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Sundberg>chkdsk

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry pgstat.stat in index $I30 of file 73057.
Deleting index entry PGSTAT~1.STA in index $I30 of file 73057.
Deleting index entry sessionstore.js in index $I30 of file 100896.
Deleting index entry SESSIO~1.JS in index $I30 of file 100896.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Sundberg>

Any further suggestions?

P.S: Where is your "Donate" button? Santa like to help Volunteer Technicians! :D

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If the hard drive is failing, CHKDSK, nor any other software program is going to be able to fix it.

To determine if the hard drive is failing, see my post #3 above.

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks

During the Installation process of SeaTools, I keep getting the following error:

---------------------------
Fatal Error: Device Discovery
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.String GetBootDriveSerialNumber()
OK

Any suggestions?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The first point I would make is that, as rshaffer61 has already told you, chkdsk on its own is read only mode. It wil not fix anything.
chkdsk /r is a full check and scan for and attempt recovery of data from bad sectors. It is a somewhat common misheld belief that chkdsk can repair bad sectors. This is NOT correct. Bad sectors can NEVER be repaired. If a disk is failing, you can run chkdsk /r as many times as you wish and each time you run the scan it will find errors.

Therefore when run from a cmd prompt chkdsk /r includes chkdsk /f.
When run from recovery console chkdsk /p is the same as chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r includes chkdsk /p.
The other point I would make to you is that running chkdsk IS an intensive demand on a hard drive and it should only be run for a specfic reason.

You can run it in scan mode as often as you wish and it will, most likely, report minor errors each time.
The read-only Chkdsk process involves three phases. If Chkdsk encounters errors in the early phases, Chkdsk might abort before it completes all three phases. In addition, Chkdsk is prone to falsely reporting errors when in read-only mode, and it might report that a volume is corrupted even when no corruption is present. For example, Chkdsk might report corruption if NTFS modifies an area of the disk on behalf of a program at the same time Chkdsk is examining the same area. To verify a volume correctly, the volume must be in a static state, and the only way to guarantee that state is to lock the volume. Chkdsk locks the volume only when you specify the /f, /r, or /x parameters. Thus, you might need to run Chkdsk more than once for Chkdsk to complete all stages in read-only mode.

and here is the extensive info regarding chkdsk in all its forms.
http://technet.micro...y/bb457122.aspx

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 December 2010 - 08:26 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your post 6 which came in while I was finishing my last - is this Seatools for Dos or Seatools for windows.

If Windows is running you are always best using Seatools for Windows - it has a GUI.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Secondly please do the following so we can see if there is another reason for the slowdowns you are experiencing because according to the full chkdsk i see nothing wrong there.
Once you have run the Sea Tools on your hd report back any results there.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks everyone for all your posts. Here's my results:

1) The issue with Sea Tools was that I had a RAM Disk installed. I stopped that and SeaTools ran fine. I ran Sea Tools Long Generic Test, and it pass with no errors. Therefore, I do not think the disk drive has any physical issues.
2)AutoRuns.txt attached
3)Everest Report.txt attached
4)I've ran Memtest and the RAM checks out 100%....

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

C: (NTFS) 52548 MB (5569 MB free)

Big problem.
No wonder chkdsk keeps throwing the message. You are running at just above 19% free space. This is the area that can start to cause problems with the File System and more important the MFT or Master File Table.
This could cause your system to slow down and even worse become unbootable.
My first suggestion is as follows.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
After completing the above steps then do the following and then repeat the Defrag from above.
What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

The next issue you need to be aware of is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems.
The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs.
Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you.
I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial[/b] and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a {b]Backup[/b] is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.
Please let me know if I can answer any further questions you may have as I am always happy to assist.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will leave the main analysis of your Autoruns to rshaffer61, he is, compared with me the expert.

However whilst you wait for him I have three observations to make
1. You have a Seagate momentus 60Gb sata drive your free space is approx 5.5Gb - my advice DO NOT LET the free space fall below this %.
2. You have I think Microsoft Security Essentials AND McAfee site advisor running - this is not advisable
as although site adisor is not strictly an anti-virus as such it will certainly slow down your browsing, running with MSSE and IE`s own security, especially if you have IE8. This is Site Advisors blurb
We test websites for spyware, spam and scams so you can search, surf and shop more safely
3. If malwarebytes is the free scan with no real time protection that is OK.of course
but NEVER run more than one anti-virus in real time mode and always disable each before scannning with another.
4. You have this
Ivan Heckman" "c:\program files\utilities\allsnap\allsnap.exe"
See this -
Performance/Stability
This program works through window hooking. Hooking is a technique that Microsoft suggest you only use in debugging because it can interfere with any other program on your system.
So use at your own risk.

NB rshaffer61 - All the best - hope you do not mind when I was about to post, before you, I then spotted that allsnap program. Macboatmaster.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 December 2010 - 03:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem Macboatmaster as I always welcome a second set of eyes. :D
Feel free to add anything you wish as I'm sure it will help in the end.