Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated CHKDSK errors

• Please log in to reply

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks guys. I think I will upgrade my laptop. I"m an online poker player, and normally use my desktop which has a 1TB drive, so I have plenty of room there. However, I only use this laptop when I'm on travel. So I think I will upgrade my drive to a ~320GB. I think I found one compatible with this laptop for $60.

I have a few questions:

1)I have been running McAfee's Site Advisor. My understanding was that this program only flags dangerous sites from their database of mal-sites, and that it doesn't actually run scanning or virus programs real time. I have it installed via a firefox add-on, although I just checked and it is also listed in my Add/Remove Programs tool. Should I still remove it?

2) What is the maximum disk use one can utilize before you start to experience performance issues?

3) Per the recommendation of Geeks To Go about a year ago, I stopped using the Avast/Malware Byes Antimalware, and started using Microsoft Security Essentials and Anti-Malware. I purchased the upgrade for Anti-Malware, and use it in real time, as well as MSE. My understanding was that they were checking on 2 different things. Should I turn off the Antimalware bytes real time protection then?

4) The link for performance/stability doesn't seem to work for the link to all snap.... (I LOVE this program... :D )

I'll start with the TFC and Degrag next.

thx!

Edited by ProsperousOne, 26 December 2010 - 02:05 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I will leave the decision re McAfee to rshaffer61. he is the expert, I honestly do not know the answer.
What I can tell you is that running MBAM in real time and running MSSE is NOT a good idea.
It will considerably slow your computer and can in fact result in less protection than just one of them, as they actually fight each other.

see this from a Microsoft expert
I'll add that the exlusion still does not prevent conflict.
Both scanners, in real time, will fight for access to the same system calls, memory, file accesses, etc. It can create a deadlock condition, in the worst case.
Having two real time protection scan engines active can cause performance issues, system instability, and can hinder the effectiveness of both products at providing protection.
-steve
~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~

The link for performance/stability doesn't seem to work for the link to all snap...

There is not a link it was a quote from that program`a own FAQ`s - my confusing working on See this - I apologise.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 December 2010 - 03:39 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
MSE and Anti Malware?
Same suite or different programs since you said you changed from Avast and Malwarebytes to MSE.

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am/was running Microsoft Security Essentials real time protection, plus Malwarebytes Anti-Malware real time protection.

My understanding (which I apparently mis-applied) from the Free Virus Forum was to use MSE for real time protection, and then use Anti-Malware to do a periodic scan for Spyware and Malware.

But when I upgraded to the paid version of Anti-Malware, I (shut off my brain) and enabled the real time protection.. (DOOH!). So I obviously need to disable the real time protection on one of them.

Is the current recommended combination to use MSE real time protection, then run a periodic scan with Anti-Malware for spyware? Or do you recommend just using the Anti-malalware real time scanner and cease using MSE?

Thanks in advance~

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is the current recommended combination to use MSE real time protection, then run a periodic scan with Anti-Malware for spyware? Or do you recommend just using the Anti-malalware real time scanner and cease using MSE?

I myself would use MSE as the real time scanner. The malware one i would use to scan when needed. Especially before opening anything downloaded from the internet. Always scan these before opening to make sure they are safe.

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I ran Auslogics defrag, and it reported 25 Junk Files. It directs me to their purchase product "Clean Up Junk Files" which I see on other form posts you have stated that you don't recommend this. Is this just a scam, or do I need to worry about these 25 Junk Files as reported by Auslogics Disk Defrag?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Auslogics Disk Defrag
Pros: Downloading and installing was easy. It worked quickly and smoothly.

Cons: As soon as it was done, another program launched scanning for unnecessary files etc. Of course if found a bunch: And offered to clean them, If I purchased another program.

That was the result of as above, it was not part of the defrag. Just ignore that aspect of it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 December 2010 - 12:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to check for junk files then use the following method.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

ProsperousOne

ProsperousOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry for the long delay guys. I've done the following:

*Reduced my Hard Drive usage down to 54% (using 28 of 51GB)
*Ran Degrag as instructed
*Backed up all my critical files
*Ran TFC

I just ran chkdsk again from a cmd window and STILL get

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Sundberg>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry pgstat.stat in index $I30 of file 59642.
Deleting index entry PGSTAT~1.STA in index $I30 of file 59642.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Sundberg>

Any other ideas? Should I consider a new HD?

I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1705.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK again I see chkdsk running the /f parameter which is why it only runs the 3 stages.
When it says read only mode it usually means no slash command has been specified.
Are you following the instructions below?

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Not simply:

chkdsk

but:

chkdsk /r

(The "/r" tells it to recover readable info, and, it also implies "/f" for fix errors on disk).

DonSwin

DonSwin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I stumbled on this thread trying to determine how much longer chkdsk /r should run on my 1tb drive with 400gb free space.

I initiated the operation for the same reason as the opening poster. I selected both options at boot time. When chkdsk started, it ran through stage 1 - 4 without errors or corrections. When it got to stage 5, it began displaying "Correcting errors in the volume bitmap". This process has been running nearly 3 days.

I am reluctant to interrupt (only way is to pull the plug) this process even though it is only checking free space. I know this is a large drive with a lot of free space, but 3 days?

In this mode, there is no progress bar or % displayed.

Any suggestions on how much longer this should take? What harm would I do if I powered down in the middle of stage 5?

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm it sounds like a faulty hd.
You can stop the process but then i need you to immediately do the following.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

DonSwin

DonSwin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks!

The Seagate utility confirmed bad sectors. The system won't boot into Windows even in safe mode. It hangs while loading one of the system files & darned if I didn't forget to write it down. I've started the Seagate "long test" that may restore some bad sectors.

Right now, I'm searching my desk for a boot disk that will let me copy some data files that weren't included in the last backup to my backup drive. Then I can restore my last True Image backup to a new drive.

In case I fail to locate my handy utility disks, can you recommend a good boot disk that would allow me to transfer files from the drive with bad sectors to a 2nd internal drive that is used for backups? The last time I did that, I had to put the bad drive in a different machine as a slave and copied to an external.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux from my signature below...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock