Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated CHKDSK errors

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Further to the above, I now realise that it can be the
\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys

The i8042prt.sys file is the KB and mouse driver and is usually the next thing to load on most systems (right after mup.sys), so you
should suspect a problem in the area of keyboard and mouse. Especially if they are USB devices.

So I would disconnect your external drive. Disconnect your mouse, as you do not need it to boot to Safe mode and try again on safe mode.

NOT that I think that is the whole problem, but it may just allow you to get into Safe Mode.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 06:10 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the steps in posts 44 and 46 do not resolve the issue which would surprise me at least, then your only option would be to backup your data using a linux live cd and then format and do a fresh install of your OS.
This is normally the only other way to correct a mup.sys error on boot up.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
FWIW, I have seen it take close to 30 minutes to get beyond mup.sys. (Junk eMachine w/Celeron)

DonSwin

DonSwin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've been letting Spinrite (Gibson Research grc.com) run using the drive as a slave on a Linux machine. It has another 11 hours to go at level 3.

When it is done, I'll try to read the second partition again & retrieve the 2 or 3 critical files that were modified since my last backup. I have Acronis True Image backups that I may restore to a new drive that I bought yesterday (in between Dallas snow storms) :-)

Hopefully, the backups will work. I am using True Image 2011 and have not restored from any of its backups yet but have had great success with earlier versions. If not, a fresh install is next. I dread spending the number of days it takes to install, configure, and update all those programs.

Edited by DonSwin, 09 February 2011 - 09:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So is the second partition by chance a linux partition?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am offline tonight until late.
I do not know if this is any help but this is the full text of what I found on that mup hang -
START OF COPY AND PASTE
Sometimes your system will not boot and you may use the F8 boot options menu to boot Safe Mode. Sometimes if you choose
Safe Mode to boot, the last thing you see on the screen when your system hangs is something like:

WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

There is probably nothing wrong with mup.sys but since that is the last thing on the screen it becomes the target for
replacement by many well wishing helpers, but replacing mup.sys is sometimes an involved process and will unlikely
resolve the issue even if you could replace it. But you can certainly try to replace it - somehow.

There is certainly no need to reinstall XP or even do a Repair Install to resolve what is usually a very simple problem.

I would not waste time, energy or effort on trying to replace mup.sys since I have never seen it to be the real problem
in spite of what you see on the screen. It is always the next thing to load that is the real problem.

As a matter of fact, I have resolved these kinds of errors many times and never seen a problem with the actual mup.sys file
(it is not the problem).

Experience and lots of testing says that the keyboard and mouse driver i8042prt.sys:

\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys

The i8042prt.sys file is the KB and mouse driver and is usually the next thing to load on most systems (right after mup.sys), so you
should suspect a problem in the are of keyboard and mouse. Especially if they are USB devices.

If your system restarts continuously,choose from the F8 boot options menu:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

This will display the error message that you can't see when the system restarts itself. That is what Windows is supposed
to do when it has a failure - it is supposed to restart automatically. The error you see on the screen has your answer.

You can also choose from the F8 boot options menu:

Last Known Good Configuration

Last Known Good Configuration is the configuration XP saved the last time Windows booted successfully and choosing that option
may allow you to boot successfully to undo (roll back) whatever got your system afflicted in the first place.

If the system boots with Last Known Good Configuration, uninstall (roll back) the afflicted driver update and get the correct
drivers for your system.

Sometimes when booting in Safe Mode the system will take a long time to get past mup.sys so wait a generous amount of
minutes and see if the boot process will continue. Once booted uninstall (roll back) any recent driver updates and continue
troubleshooting any remaining issues.

What do you think the problem is or what do you think might have changed since the last successful boot?

Disconnect all the peripherals except the keyboard starting with USB devices. You are trying to eliminate the device that
is causing your system not to boot.

You only need a keyboard to boot in Safe Mode, so if the system boots with just a keyboard attached roll back any driver updates
and/or start reconnecting peripherals one at a time and rebooting after each one until the system hangs again. The last thing that
was connected is your culprit (or the driver that goes with it).

If you are using a USB keyboard, that may be part of the problem so use just a PS/2 keyboard if possible.

Have you added a new mouse or any wireless keyboard and mouse devices since the last good boot? Unhook everything that is connected
and try booting again.

Have any new external USB drives been added lately? Disconnect them temporarily to see if your system will boot without
them connected.

I usually see the problem as a USB mouse or keyboard change/update of some kind. Either physical hardware or some recent
update that has occurred since the last good boot. Sometimes even a CD ROM update will cause the failure.

Have you performed any Windows updates since the last successful boot? Microsoft Windows Update will sometimes include
what it thinks are the best updates to some of your device drivers and sometimes they just do not work on some systems.

There is usually no crash dump file created or clues in the Event Log under these conditions since Windows did not get
far enough along in the boot process or sometimes there is no indication on the BSOD what the afflicted driver is. Advice
to "look at" these things on a system that will not boot is difficult to comprehend.

If you still need help, describe your computer make and model, currently attached peripherals and decide in any new keyboard,
mouse, video or network hardware or drivers were installed since the last time the system booted properly.

If yes, you need to boot somehow to uninstall (roll back) the drivers to the last set that worked properly (but first your system needs
to boot of course).

If you are experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) the answer to your problem is usually there. If that is the case (a BSOD) with
a Safe Mode boot, or LKGK boot, report back for further guidance on how to relay BSOD information (you did not supply enough).
END of copy and paste.

I had already found the first article which suggested that after mup.sys it is the HDD controller and the graphics.

Various articles on Microsoft tech library and elsewhere have suggested entering BIOS and changing the SATA mode from SATA to AHCI or whatever is available in that particular BIOS. I suppose the thinking behind that must be that for some reason Windows can no longer load the HDD controller in SATA mode. Although I would have thought that would be more of an issue on INSTALL/REPAIR install etc.

Amazingly on another site a number of people reported success in pressing ESC immediately the mup.sys entry appeared on Safe mode boot., presumably then skipping load of the next driver.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2011 - 12:22 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This would be the first course of action you should try.

Various articles on Microsoft tech library and elsewhere have suggested entering BIOS and changing the SATA mode from SATA to AHCI or whatever is available in that particular BIOS.

DonSwin

DonSwin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

So is the second partition by chance a linux partition?

The faulty drive is a 1Tb Seagate Barracuda divided into two partitions. The first partition is 400 Gb & has Windows XP Pro and program files. The 2nd partition is for data files. Both are formatted NTFS. The 2nd partition is the one that can not be read. The first partition will not boot into windows.

There is a 2nd physical hard drive of the same make and model that is used to hold backup images.

My mention of a Linux machine is an entirely different box. I just hung the faulty drive as a slave to run some diagnostics from a boot disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK do you have a current image of that second partition or is that where we are sitting now?

DonSwin

DonSwin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I restored to a new drive from backup images last night. It seems to be working fine.

The only thing I am missing is one day's email in my outlook.pst file on the inaccessible partition. It has some messages I would prefer not to lose and quite a few I have not answered. I had Outlook configured to delete messages from the server once downloaded so I can't go to my ISP for copies.

Today, I'll try to access the 2nd partition and retrieve that file. My guess is the volume index is corrupt. I mentioned earlier that I had one utility that could read the partition but had no copy or write functions. I'm not hopeful since I have tried to view the drive as a slave using various versions of Linux and Windows 7.

Anyone know of a good file / partition recovery utility?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give EASEUS Partition Recovery a try HERE

geeksalive

geeksalive

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks

During the Installation process of SeaTools, I keep getting the following error:

---------------------------
Fatal Error: Device Discovery
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.String GetBootDriveSerialNumber()
OK

Any suggestions?

I just got this same error, while running SeaTools 1.2.0.10 for Windows for the first time (to check whether a ST2000DM001 needs a firmware update). I had just installed SeaTools, but I think the installation worked. The error occurred while SeaTools had a message box up:

SeaTools for Windows
USB: Scanning for supported drives. Please wait...

I stepped away from the computer briefly, and when I came back the error message box was up:

Fatal Error: Device Discovery
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.String GetBootDriveSerialNumber() 
OK   

One detail that might matter: My boot drive is a 1.5TB WDC; the Seagate ST2000DM001 is a 2nd drive.

This is on a Dell Inspiron 620 with 8 GB RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1.

When I re-ran SeaTools, the problem did not recur.