Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to disable onboard Ehternet?

• Please log in to reply

papasmithnc

papasmithnc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My onboard Ethernet connection died. I have replaced it using a USB slot. However, after getting on the internet, I am getting messages saying that "This webpage is not available offline" or some such thing and asking me if I would like to connect to the internet. Let me emphasize, when this happens, I have already connected to the internet. Sometimes when these messages come up, I am knocked off the internet. My suspicion is that I need to disable the onboard ethernet.

My question is, how do I disable the onboard ethernet module? I tried going into setup during bootup but, don't see anything there that would do it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi papasmithnc,
Please excuse my ignorance where Windows 7 is concerned as I havn`t upgraded yet.
Go into Control Panel and then Device Manager, Right Click on Modems and then uninstall.
If your computer is a desktop and the ethernet is provided by an add on card (NIC) you
could also shut down and physically remove the device.
I hope this gets you sorted and let us know either way.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If on-board, go into the BIOS setup menu to the integrated devices menu and from there, you should be able to disable it.

papasmithnc

papasmithnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll give both a try and see what happens.