Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stymied by a mystifyingly unopenable file

• Please log in to reply

graviton37

graviton37

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi! My fists are clenched in the rage of prolonged frustration-- I hope one of you guys can help!

I downloaded a zipped epub file yesterday, but unlike the usual process, i.e. unzipping it, clicking on the file and having Adobe Digital Editions gallop to the scene without even being summoned by name, something quite different occurred.

First I saw that the file was not the normal single entity, but was composed of 15 or 20 separate mini-files, each designated .html_split_001 and .html_split_002 etc. I understand that to accommodate devices with limited capacities very often these days they're dividing up ebook files, but I'm surprised that I'm confronted by Windows declaring to me that it can't open the file, and then, after I authorize Windows to search the web to obtain software that WILL open the file, it reports back that it can't locate anything relevant.

So after spending a significant amount of time trying to find software to open this file and not succeeding, I thought it was time to check in once again with the so-far-infallible geeks to go forum people. I place my problem in your hands, thanking you in advance for any help you can offer [and please be as (step-by-step) explicit as possible in your instructions because I'm only cursorily familiar with these matters].

Very cordially,
graviton37

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://www.jedisaber...oks/Readers.asp

http://www.jedisaber...ks/tutorial.asp

I have no knowledge of these but a quick search reveals the above.

However using my knowledge on a general basis I would ask is the site one you have downloaded successfully from before.
Is it a trusted site
Is it possible the download was corrupted by - security systems etc.
WILL OTHER DOWNLOADS done NOW, not previously existing ones, but from sites you have used before - open. If so I would simply download this one again and try.
IF NOT you clearly have a problem with your browser.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
graviton37
As per my post on your other thread on the same subject HERE
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Please do not start a new thread with the same problem.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 December 2010 - 07:04 PM.