Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot import files, registry issue

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey i think that i messed up my brother in laws compter and i need to see if i can get some help to repair it.

he let me look at his computer to check some email. so i noticed that the computer had no anti vitus so i asked him if he wanted me to install advast.

so he said ok so i installed it and as soon as it was installed it it found several virases.

i then asked advast to do a full system scan and waited about 1 hour but after an hour it only scanned about 10% with 3 errors.

then i noticed that when i would click on something i would get a message listed below

are you sure you want to add the information in c:\programfiles\alwilsoftware\avast\avastui.exe to the registry

yes no

when i click on no nothing happens and i cannot open the program

when i click on yes i get the message below

cannot import c:\programfile\alwilsoftware\avast5\avastui.exe: the specidied file is not a registry script. you can only import registry files from the registry editor.

i hope that i have not messed up his commputer. i have never seen this before. it is a gateway with xp

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
anyone have any ideas or had this problem. i feel bad for doing this to my brother in laws computer. an update he can go onlive now through control pannel but not from the home screen. when he clicks on internet exployer on the home page he still gets the message

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Use Windows' "System Restore" to return Windows to a state before you installed !avast.

Microsoft.com > How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Then download and install Microsoft Security Essentials:

Microsoft.com > Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
http://www.microsoft...ity_essentials/