Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Puter is slowwwww

• Please log in to reply

harumff

harumff

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Computer is an off the shelf HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop. It was my wifes and she upgraded back to a desktop because of the erratic behavior. It hangs up, or operates really slow, haven't seen any pop ups other than that blasted BING window, it is just so slow that even my tech challenged brain can outrun.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why not return it back to factory new state with a system recovery?
This will delete everything and restore the system back to the way it was brand new.
Warning this will delete all data on the system.

harumff

harumff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
You answered the reason for the post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You said this:

It was my wifes and she upgraded back to a desktop because of the erratic behavior.

How old is the laptop?
Has your wife added any programs, music, videos or anything else to the system since purchasing it?
You can return it to factory new settings by doing the following.

HP:

Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

harumff

harumff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Will give it a shot. I guess I always ry and avoid these kind of things as I am always afraid of the consequences.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only thing that will ahppen is that the system will be restored back to where it was brand new. Before you do it let me ask is there programs or data you want to keep?
Is this the reason for the hesitation?
We can go the other option and do some deeper maintenance which may help speed it up.
I am willing to go either route you would like. ;) ;) :D