Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

removal of Windows Medfia Player 11

• Please log in to reply

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I am having major problems with mp 11, and cannot uninstall it. I have an older Dell Dimension 8250, and it works good with the exception
of Media Player. I have installed VLC Player, and want to be rid of Media Player. Thanks!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Try these methods:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934372

Hope it helps

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay when I did the safe mode, it said it rolled back mp 11, when in fact it did not. So I went to step two, when I clicked ok it said the spuninst could not be found, said to enter search to find it. Well search said it was not a valid file. I notice that I have media player run time in addition to the player but when I tried to uninstall it, it refused to do it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would NOT uninstall it.
I would simply leave it and commission VLP as your default player.
Open Windows Media player click Help, click Technical support info.
This will provide an analysis of the installation together with all other files for WMP and many audio codecs etc and binaries on YOUR computer.
You will then see that uninstalling WMP totally is NOT the best course of action.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 December 2010 - 12:57 PM.

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay, I sort of knew that something was amiss when I had such a difficult time with this thing. I'll do as you advised and set the VLC as default and I appreciate your time and advice. Thanks a lot

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sure that will serve you best
WMP is quote
uninstall windows media player is not that easy especially for average computer users since it is a part of windows operating system

I can send you a program that WILL uninstall it, but you may find you have more problems.
MY ADVICE IS DO NOT.

That said in case you ever need it for other reasons here is the uninstaller.
http://www.geekstogo...vo-uninstaller/

jigsawbill
Knew I had it somewhere in my database, but could not find it in time to post it
Can I completely remove Windows Media Player?
Short answer - not really. Windows Media Player is an integral part of Windows itself. It's used in Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, and with pretty much every other part of Windows that uses media. Even if you were to uninstall it all the way, you'd likely not be happy with the way the system ran after that, because many things would no longer function properly.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 December 2010 - 01:06 PM.

jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Very good, I had no idea that mp had so many tenticles, and I appreciate the uninstaller, as I never know when something will come up with this old machine. The VLC is doing a great job and I am pleased with the results of this thread, and appreciate all the help. Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome. Especially the more so, becuase of your obvious appreciation.