Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop hard drive gone? or damaged?

• Please log in to reply

angelbear

angelbear

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
my daughter brought me her laptop and we are trying to fix it.....
we have tried the disks she was given when she bought it 6 months ago
her boyfriend screwed around with it for revenge and now it won't start
we can get it to the command prompt but nothing further
can anyone help with this????

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with this.
You need to supply the make and model of the laptop so we can find the steps to help you further.
Is there data you need to save first before we proceed with the restoration of the OS.
Is there a cd\dvd drive in the laptop?

angelbear

angelbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you very much for your reply. After I posted my question, I went on the manufacturers website and contacted their online help. It turns out the laptop is still under warranty and they are going to repair it at no cost.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help us out though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It turns out the laptop is still under warranty and they are going to repair it at no cost.

Make sure they just don't format the drive or replace it with a new drive.
Let them know there is data that cannot be lost if possible. Understand that in most cases they will charge for the data backup even if it is determined it is a component failure.

I am glad they are covering it under warranty and it is always best to have it done now then when there is no warranty.