Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start up troubles

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've recently noticed that whenever I reboot my PC or shut it completely down and then boot up the monitor will not come on. The power button simply blinks slowly and the monitor itself has a very faint "flash" that is very hard to see unless you turn the lights out.

The PC itself attempts to boot up but it will go so far and stall. I have to press the power button to shut it back down then try a new start up and usually have to do this 4 or 5 times before it boots up normally. When the monitor comes up the PC will load properly.This has been going on for a couple of weeks I'd say.

Anyone ever have this problem,or know how to diagnose it? Will all the odd things I've been seeing lately I have to wonder if it isn't time to buy a new computer before this one dies on me.

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hi there, sorry to hear you are having this trouble.
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.
Possible causes could be a faulty power supply, a loose connection or switch
or even the inside of the computer needing a clean out of heat trapping dust.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hi;

Desktop
HP model 734n
I replaced the power supply in July this year at which time I thoroughly cleaned out all the dust bunnies.

Attached Thumbnails

• snapshot.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Ok, so you have replaced the PSU in July of this year, this unfortunately does not rule it out as the cause, what did you replace it with, something like this http://www.migicar.c...s20coposuf.html ?
You cleaned it out also, this is good but could you have possibly disturbed a wire/connection or switch whilst doing so, can you shut down and check that all the connections from the PSU to the MB, HDD, CD/DVD drive etc are secure, have a close inspection of the wire from the case front power on switch to the MB header connection.
Other than this I can only think that the due to the age of the computer and its components that something may be simply showing its age.
The last thing I can suggest is checking to see if there is any driver updates at the attached link;
http://h20000.www2.h...dSeriesId=71006 a power or loose connection issue would appear favorite as the culprit though.