Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't play Youtube vids anymore

• Please log in to reply

smojo

smojo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Please help if you can, this is driving me nuts. For some time playing Youtube vids has been getting more difficult to the pint where most vids don't play at all. The page loads but I get the rotating circle of the vid trying to load unsuccessfully. I've spent hours following every advice I have found on the problem. I've been to Youtube, Microsoft,and Adobe's help pages and followed all their advice and nothing works. Can't remember everything I've tried but here are some of them. Doesn't work on IE or Firefox. Sometimes streamed content will run for a few seconds then "stick" but mostly won't play at all.

Run antivirus software
Run Spybot search and destroy for adware/malware
Upgraded Adobe flash to latest version (10) several times also making sure i ran the uninstall application for the old version first
Checked IE options making sure Javascript enabled
Set IE options back to default
Temporarily disabled firewall and anti virus in case it was blocking it
Ran continuous ping tests to check my broadband is working OK and not dropping packets
and many other suggested tweaks

My PC is quite old (6 years) but I really don't want to do anything drastic like reformatting it. I have so many applications that would need reloading and tweaks to make that it would drive me to insanity. Thanks for looking.

Advertisements

smojo

smojo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I forgot to say I'm running Windows XP sp3. IE 8 and broadband speed of 8meg