Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Failure

• Please log in to reply

Henry7212

Henry7212

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well, I remember posting here a while back for recommendations for computer parts, I finally got my "dream" rig together for christmas, and as I put the parts together, they don't seem to work. I'll post the parts I have followed by what they aren't doing.

Hitachi 1tb 3.5'' hdd @7200rpm (not new but what I'm using)
asus sabertooth x58 mobo
intel core i7 950 @ 3.06ghz CPU
radeon HD 5830 video card
g skill ddr3 1600 4gig stick of ram x1 (second stick sitting here waiting to be put in once I get the computer running)
700 watt modular psu

trying to run windows home premium 32bit, and planning to upgrade to 64bit

I'm able to get the computer to boot, and I am able to get into the BIOS, the computer restarts as the four colors in the windows animation come together. The motherboard has a solid red LED that is shining constantly next to the ram, and other red LED's pop up next to the CPU and video card at start up. But there is one green light that is located at the bottom of the motherboard that stays constantly light green. From my understanding these parts should work in sequence with each other, but they aren't. I'm at a loss for solutions on whether I put something together wrong (which I'm confident I did not) or if I got some DOAs... which doesn't seem like it would be the case since I'm able to get to the BIOS and it recognizes my hard drive and ram.

There is no problem with the hard drive from my understanding since the day before I was running windows 7 just fine on my old rig.

I'm actually just blatantly angry with myself right now, spending all this money and having things not work, I have a strange feeling I made some stupid mistake that one of you pros will point out instantly.

I thank anyone who is willing to help me get this fixed, I've got a nice 42inch 1080p hdtv waiting to become my new monitor =/

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the 1Tb HDD has another version of Windows on it and/or it's come from another computer, and you haven't wiped it before putting it in this machine, it's going to be tied to the machine it came from, and that'll be why it doesn't boot.

Unfortunately one of the shortcomings with the newer operating systems (Vista and 7) is that they get incredibly upset if you change all the hardware, and the only resolution around this is to install a fresh copy - there is no repair option.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
In addition to what Neil has said, have you installed the drivers for the new MB from the installation disk that came with it.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried putting in my windows disk to reinstall, along with the disk that came with my motherboard, but nothing happens. Niether of them seem to "go". I hear the disk start to rev up but nothing happens on the screen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second?

EDIT: Just in case you are not sure how to change the Boot Sequence;
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL or F8 button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will be prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Edited by phillpower2, 27 December 2010 - 01:23 PM.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I am able to boot off the cdrom and I'm installing windows 7 right now, I'll update once its finished

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update and good luck.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'm smiling cheek to cheek right now, windows 7 downloaded fine and I'm installing all my drivers, looks like everything is ok :D Thanks everyone

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Great news, we are happy you got it sorted and thanks for the update ;)
Can you share how you resolved the issue so that others may learn from it, or use the information to resolve their own issue :D