Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can i format laptop like this?

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
hi there,
i have packard bell laptop with xp home oem on it.
i would like to format it (ideally on factory settings), but i cannot find preinstaled packard bell partition to do that.
however, i have retail xp pro cd, and one oem xp home sp3 (from dell for other machine).
the question is: can i format packard bell with any of these cd's? (i am askig this as i am not sure that i would be able maybe to validate xp when i change cd's kay to packard bells xp sticker key, as the key on packard bell is for xp home, not for xp home sp3)
thank you for any advice.
rgds. den

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try tapping F11 while starting your system. That should get you to the recovery partition if there is one.
If that doesn't work then try this:

If your hidden partition is still there, this should work:

- Go to http://support.packa....nt=platform_J4
- Download
BOOTDISK16.EXE, run it and create a bootable CD-R
- Boot from the CD-R
- When it asks for the recovery CDs/DVDs, hit ESCape to go to the DOS prompt.
- Go to drive A: do a directory, and you'll find a batch file called F11.BAT
- Execute the batch file.
- Remove the CD
- Re-boot

This will get you straight into the recovery process

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
thank you very much on quick reply.

i was thinking about that, but this packard bell laptop is from a friend, and its more or less completely infected...
(i did post topic 7 days ago here: http://www.geekstogo...in32bamital-af/ as well as on "three days waiting forum, but didnt get reply unfortunately)

however, i did backup all data, so can do now basically whatever is the best, but of course to use its own xp oem key from the sticker.

as i am tight with the time, it seems that the format is the quickest way...

i am right now on my mobile netbook, and will be back home in a hour, and will be able to sit in front of packard bell, and i will msg you immediately back.

thank you once more for your reply.
rgds.
den

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Azarl has started assisting you with your Malware topic so you are in very capable hands. :D
I have worked with him many times on a topic after he has gotten it cleaned out so let him know i have the Tech topic. Once he has declared your system clean and if you continue to have issues then return here and we will assist you further.
Good luck and I will await your completion of your malware topic. ;) ;) ;)

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you very much.
I have already started on Azarl's instructions :D
And hopefully it will be posible to clean all malware.
Will keep you up to date.
Rgds.
Den