Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help: \windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

herisland

herisland

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi, i really need help in solving this problem and hopefully retain information in my computer.
My windows xp was running perfectly well this morning, and in the evening, it was unable to boot. The message given was:
"\windows\system32\config\system " and require my original xp cd to repair.

did some googling, and followed the steps. ( I do not have the xp cd for this com, the one i am using comes from my older com: xp home edition. if i am not wrong, my current com is an xp professional, is this alright? the googling i says its ok.)

anyway, the problem now is that instead of the usual C:\windows they are asking me to choose like in other forums, my com only offer my D:\windows. i have no idea how to proceed. am i on the right track?

i performed chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p, but to no avail.

help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by herisland, 27 December 2010 - 12:09 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The first thing you need to do is obtain the same version of XP that is on your HDD and the second is to have your code of authenticity number ready, this may be a sticker on the case that has a series of 5 sets of 5 digits both numbers and letters like this XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
You cannot use an XP Home disk to repair an XP Pro installation they are not the same, XP Home is seen as inferior to XP Pro.
Have you tried last known good configuration?
If you know what brand of HDD you have you can try using their diagnostic tools from the attached link; http://www.tacktech....ttid=287#maxtor unfortunately if the HDD is of the Toshiba brand they do not presently provide such a facility but I have heard of others using Seatools successfully but I cannot vouch for this.

EDIT: Last known good configuration details http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Edited by phillpower2, 27 December 2010 - 04:10 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

hi, i really need help in solving this problem and hopefully retain information in my computer.
My windows xp was running perfectly well this morning, and in the evening, it was unable to boot. The message given was:
"\windows\system32\config\system " and require my original xp cd to repair.

did some googling, and followed the steps. ( I do not have the xp cd for this com, the one i am using comes from my older com: xp home edition. if i am not wrong, my current com is an xp professional, is this alright? the googling i says its ok.)

anyway, the problem now is that instead of the usual C:\windows they are asking me to choose like in other forums, my com only offer my D:\windows. i have no idea how to proceed. am i on the right track?

i performed chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p, but to no avail.

help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Usually, it's ok to use XP Home Edition to just simply access the Dos screen through the CD. In the DOS screen, choose the D:\Windows, then type (one at a time):

C:

copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system C:\HiveBackups\system.bak

copy C:\WINDOWS\repair\system C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system

You will asked if you wish to overwrite, say "yes".

If the above doesn't work because you aren't able to access the C: drive at all, then it could be a hard drive problem.

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
after typing

copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system C:\HiveBackups\system.bak

it says that the system cannot find the file specified.

means that its an hard drive problem? if so, is there any ways that i can still retain my documents??

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Skip that command and type in the last one.

No, this doesn't mean it's a hard drive problem. It looks like a corrupted Windows issue (thankfully).

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks for your prompt reply.

i typed in the last command, but it says "the system cannot find the file specified" again.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Do the following (one at a time):

C:

cd windows

cd repair

Any errors from typing the above?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
I just noticed something I may have misread from your initial post. Hang on, there's still hope for you. Just reply to my previous post first.

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the response for both command : "the system cannot find the file or directory specified."

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
copy D:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system D:\HiveBackups\system.bak

copy D:\WINDOWS\repair\system D:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system

Type the above two commands.

Advertisements

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
copy D:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system D:\HiveBackups\system.bak
"the system cannot find the file specified"

copy D:\WINDOWS\repair\system D:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system
"1 file(s) copied"

den i exited and startup again, brought me to the usual windows scene, but blackout for very long instead of the usual logging in scene.
am still waiting if anything will recover from the blackout. will update again.

Thanks again

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
waited to no avail.

Restarted it, and it offers me the safe mode option and last good configuration.

tried both but, remains at the blank screen (last good configuration) and a whole page of commands(safe mood) for a very very long time.

Shld i continue waiting?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Is this an improvement from before? Or was that how it was before?

Back in the Recovery COnsole, try the following commands:

fixmbr

fixboot

Don't be afraid to type yes when asked to do so.

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yes, its an inprovement from before.
before it was like they would show the \windows\system32\config\system msg
now it doesn;t show this msg anymore, after the screen below, it would just blank out.

Posted Image
anyway, i did fixmbr and fixboot, but the situation is the same.

Edited by herisland, 28 December 2010 - 05:15 AM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Try:

chkdsk /r

I know you did it once before, but that was before we fixed the initial part of the problem. Try it again.