Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC switchs on then off again

• Please log in to reply

legendracer

legendracer

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi there

Coming back from xmas I switched my pc on, it restarted itself after being on the windows log in screen and then froze on the initial loading screen. I switched it off and when I tried to switch on again the pc booted up for a second then went off again. Then five seconds later it tried again and off. If I dont switch it off at the plug it continually tries to switch on. I've looked at some forums and tried to rule out obvious fixs like loose cables etc.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to try and troubleshoot this as I dont have spare components like a spare PSU to see if its my power pack thats gone?

Thanks a lot
legendracer

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,034 posts
Hi legendracer
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.
The PSU is a strong candidate but it could also be a failed CPU fan which
is causing overheating and the MB thermal sensor shutting the system down
to protect the CPU.
If you can post the requested information + your PSU details we will do our
best to assist you.

legendracer

legendracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
thanks for replying Phill

I'm hoping to be able to get it fixed under warrenty as its less than a year since I received the pc but I wanted to check that I wasnt missing an obvious easy fix or check to see what the problem is.

Here are my specs

CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9400
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Motherboard: Asus P5P43TD
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (4x 2GB)
Hard Drives: 1.5TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 6x Blu-Ray ROM S-ATA
Second optical drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DS 7.1
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Software: Nero and PowerDVD
Peripherals: Keyboard, mouse and speakers
PSU: 700W EZCool Tornado
Case: EZCool H601

Its a desktop pc, i spent a bit extra on a good psu but looks like that might have been in vain. Its a custom spec but built by a company on the web not by myself.

Thanks a lot
legendracer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,034 posts
Hi legendracer,
Thats a nice system youv`e got there, if I had to pick a culprit I would again go for the PSU, without sounding snobbish you would not get a very good 700W PSU for £45 in the UK they don`t exist.
I am happy to hear you are covered by warranty and I would not be tempted to attempt to resolve this issue yourself in case you void the warranty.
I may be wrong and it could be something else so when it is resolved can you let us know, it could even be a loose connector from the PSU, good luck with it and I hope you don`t have to wait too long to get it back.

legendracer

legendracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hey dont worry Phill I wish I had known that when I bought it. Its given me a lot of bother over the year so it doesnt suprise me that the psu price seems to good to be true.
Not got through yet to confirm it is covered but it should be. Just glad the hard drive seems ok and fingers crossed it just needs a new PSU

Thanks a lot for your help
legendracer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,034 posts
Ok keep us posted on the warranty issue.
Computer builders and suppliers should give people the option of what PSU they want in a potential purchase and at least give them a chance to pay a bit extra to prevent the whole lot going boom on them within months.
PSU rant over now, good luck.