Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window 7 Ult: Remote Desktop Access

• Please log in to reply

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello,

I am trying to remotely connect to my home desktop, so that I can access the desktop from my campus computers. They are connected to the same internet via cable.

My desktop (IN-RH-CODMIRAC) is running Windows 7 Ultimate and is set to allow remote desktop connections. When I try to connect via my laptop (on the same connection) it tells me that my credentials did not work.

I've tried troubleshooting through Microsoft and have not found anything that fixes my issue. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be fantastic.

Thank you,
Stryker

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
I'm not familiar with these kinds of issues, but check the settings on both the laptop and the desktop, specifically in:

My Computer Properties (Remote tab)

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
My Desktop is set to allow remote desktop access (upgraded from win7 home to ult just for this function)
I can access it (my laptop can find it) but whenI put in my login information (the credentials) that's what is not working.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

My Desktop is set to allow remote desktop access (upgraded from win7 home to ult just for this function)
I can access it (my laptop can find it) but whenI put in my login information (the credentials) that's what is not working.

On the Desktop PC, is your laptop user account listed as one of the remote users allowed to connect to the PC?

I don't know how it works exactly, but make sure of that setting first.

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have added myself as an available user, I added the group "Everyone" as well as "Administrator"
When I run RDC on my laptop (which is win7 Home, which does not allow remote access to itself) it finds the computer, and asks for my password...and then says my credentials are wrong.

I am at a total loss at this point.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Is the username typed in the form of REMOTE_COMPUTER_NAME\USERNAME?

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yup

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Have you configured your router? You should be forwarding port 3389 to your computer.
http://portforward.com/

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
This is all wired connections through the internet provided by my school, as I live on campus. No router involved

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
At work now, I even setup a VPN connection using https://kb.iu.edu/data/amyp.html as my source (the school I go to) and still no luck.

When I run RDC from the work computer, it locates the computer just fine, but still tells me that the credentials do not work. I am sure I tried adding "Everyone" etc to the list of selected users but still no luck.

Any thoughts?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
How about the domain names? Any mismatch in there?

Just trying my best to get you in the right direction. I don't even know if that applies to your problem.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
I think that since you are on your schools network, you are going to need to talk to someone in the schools IT department.