Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus/Worm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

redbonestar85

redbonestar85

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My pc keeps giving me a pop up saying my computer is infected and I need to activate my Spyware Protection. I ran Avast anti-virus and it found no threats but whenever I try to run Spybot it says I have been infected with a worm blaster and takes me back to Spyware Protection. I have not clicked it because it's nothing I downloaded on my PC. I tried to download another virus protection but the worm blocks it. O also tried to go to the Help Center on my PC and the worm blocks me from there as well. Please tell me what I need to do as far as wiping the virus out or resetting my PC.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hello redbonestar85 and welcome to G2G!

My name is Cold Titanium ;) , and I will be assisting you with your problem. I am still in training, so all my replies need to be checked by an expert first. So there may be a slight delay in between replies.

Please follow all of my instructions without skipping anything. Also, please refrain from experimenting around whilst I am helping you. At times some of the things I tell you to do may seem unnecessary and frustrating, but just stick to it and we'll get through :D

;) Note: Please save these instructions in a file or print them out, as the internet may not be available while we are fixing the system.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am currently clearing my fix with the expert... ;)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ok, here's the deal:

There are malicious processes blocking the execution of those tools. We need to kill those processes long enough to run our tools. First we are going to try rkill

Step #1

There are 3 different versions of rkill:

Download to your desktop and then double-click to open.

If the first one does not work then try the next and so on...

If you get rkill to run then do the following steps, else come back here and tell me...

Step #2

If you get rkill to run then do this...

• Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top make sure it is set to Standard Output.
  • Ensure the Use SafeList is selected for Extra Registry
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

msconfig
    safebootminimal
    safebootnetwork
    activex
    netsvcs
    drivers32 /all
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\*.wt
    %systemroot%\system32\*.ruy
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini2
    %systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.*
    %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.bak1
    %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.ini
    %systemroot%\system32\*.jpg
    %systemroot%\*.scr
    %systemroot%\*._sy
    %APPDATA%\Adobe\Update\*.*
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites\*.*
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\*.*
    %PROGRAMFILES%\*.*
    %APPDATA%\Update\*.*
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %systemroot%\system32\user32.dll /md5
    %systemroot%\system32\ws2_32.dll /md5
    %systemroot%\system32\ws2help.dll /md5
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTListIt.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them all in.

Step #3

• Download GMER to your desktop
  • Right-Click and extract it to the desktop
  • Double-Click gmer.exe
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run a full scan...click on NO, then use the following settings for a more complete scan..
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Ensure the following are UNCHECKED ...
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish. (Please be patient as it can take some time to complete)

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

After it finishes scanning
  • Click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "ark.txt"
  • Save it to your desktop

Post ark.txt in your next reply

I'd like to see OTL.txt and ark.txt in your next reply... :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.