Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor went black, now PC won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

realapp

realapp

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Ihave a Dell Dimension 4400. It has been running fine (thanks to you guys!)

However, just today my monitor went black and I turned the power button off then back on and it would show my screen where I was. Then as soon as I moved the mouse it would go black again. I thought I unplugged the monitor only to find out I accidentally unplugged the tower.

I have unplugged everything and tried to restart several time but my computer will not even act like it has any power to it at all. Printer will work, and mouse lights up, and the monitor power button has a light, but the light on the power button on the Pc just is green(amber? cant' tell for sure but is solid) but does nothing.
I have double checked the power cords, and I'm fairly certain it is not the monitor. I tried another monitor and it won't work either when plugged into this PC and works otherwise. Also, the monitor test check works when just plugged into power and not PC.

Also, I have 2 (512 mb) memory sticks.I removed each one separately and no help there.

I noticed the green light on the MB (at least I'm assuming it's the MB LOL:)is on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!!!

Also, my husband told me (just now:)) that the monitor went red on him a couple days ago. But haven't had any problems since.

Edited by realapp, 27 December 2010 - 09:31 PM.

Advertisements

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I don't think this is a monitor issue I think its related around your graphics card you said you've tryed multiple monitors neither worked if you have another computer you can plug both of those monitors into the other computer see if it works to 100% make sure its not the monitors but I honestly think its related to your graphics card.

Edited by Epsilon, 27 December 2010 - 10:05 PM.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
how do I test the graphics card? Pretty sure it is not the monitor as well as I have tried them both.

Can I pull out the card and try to power it on?

Also, to make sure I make myself a little clearer. I can't get any power other than a dim light on front by the power button, the green light on the Mobo and no fans at all. Like it is just dead.

Edited by realapp, 27 December 2010 - 11:28 PM.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ah this sounds much worse now that you've added that. So when you turn on your computer with the power button what exactly happens? Any fans at all working or any motion inside going on or is it completely dead?

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
No fans going on, nothing basically it is dead with the exception of when I look inside the light is on the mother board and the light on the power button is faint green on amber (solid) can't really tellwhich color.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Motherboards usually have lights to indicate what process its going through when posting i'm not firmiliar with the motherboard in Dell Dimension 4400, but I would say green is a good color. If you can open the side case have a look beside the light and try to verify if there is lettering beside the light to see what the light stands for.

Also, I have 2 (512 mb) memory sticks.I removed each one separately and no help there.

This is fine your motherboards maximum memory supported is 1GB

I thought I unplugged the monitor only to find out I accidentally unplugged the tower.

If your tower is far away, you may not have heard it but did you hear any zap, crackle, or bad smell?

Edited by Epsilon, 27 December 2010 - 11:57 PM.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
No bad smell or cracking. The tower is right below the monitor. When I saw that the monitor wasn't functioning properly I was going to unplug it and accidentally unplugged the tower (it was still on at this point. Checking the light on the motherboard.

The light comes on when I plug in the power cord. Don't have to try and turn on the power. The only letters I see (and they are tiny) say CR3H1. This is right above where the power supply (I'm assuming) connects to the mother board.

Edited by realapp, 28 December 2010 - 12:05 AM.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
If you can I would recommend reseting your bios to there original state, to do this you will have to turn your computer off and unplug it. While its unplugged press the power button once or so. Next step is to find the jumps I will link you to a site with better instructions on how to do this properly My link.

After you're done with that try to power on and see what happens after that.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Ok, removed the battery as recommended. The other suggestions didn't seem to apply (as far as the jumping of the pins) as I didn't see anything like that.

Plugged power cord back in and same thing.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I did some research while you were away, and the green light indicates that the motherboard is getting power so the culprit isn't related to your powersupply. Yet your motherboard isn't posting otherwise your fans would be turning and you'd be hearing some action thats why I had you try to reset your bios, i'm unsure of what to do next i'm fairly certain the problem or issue is your motherboard now.

How old is the computer is there warranty?

Advertisements

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
It's ancient. About 8 years old. Not under warranty. But was working great up until this morning.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well for 8 years is quite a long time for a computer mine last around 4-5, but i'm sorry I couldn't find a conclusion to your issue maybe someone else can assist you.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Thank you for your help!. I think I'm at least getting it narrowed down :D

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
ok so if I get a new motherboard for this computer where do I get help installing it as I have never done this. Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts
Hi realapp,
The green light on the MB only indicates that the MB is receiving some sort of power from the PSU, this may be just enough to illuminate the said light.
Do you have or can you loan a known good PSU to try, the PSU may appear to be functioning but because of the various volts the rails put out +3.3V +5V and +12V if you get a problem with any of them you can get issues such as this.
Unless you have the correct equipment there is no conclusive way to test a PSU correctly, they have no user serviceable parts so when they fail they should be discarded immediately.
The one simple test I can suggest is to remove the PSU from the computer (make notes of where each connection goes, take a digital photograph if you can before removal) and follow the testing procedure as described at the link below
http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html if the PSU does not activate at all then you know it is completely dead, if it activates but the PSU fan spins slowly, it smells or it is noisy it is bad and it needs replacing which after 8 years is to be expected.