Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp won't load

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

marlana

marlana

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Im new to forums.
I have windows xp i got a virus from downlooading something and i went to do a boot virus scan and it gets the the windows xp loading screen then goes black with a blinking - line thing and it wont go any further to where i can log in with a screen name. i have tryed using f8 which im told that brings up a screen that has options like last known good configuration but it doesent work for me f12 and f2 works for me but i wish i could at least get it in safe mode but f8 isent working for me. i can make a cd bootable but i dont know what to put on it i also have a 2gb flash drive i could use also but i dont know what to put on them if i did i could go to f12 and choose boot from cd-rom IF that would even go through im not sure but its worth a try i have looked trying to find what to put on a cd-rw and flsh but no luck in understading on how to do that. I could realy use some help with this and also i do not have my xp disk the main one i have a few ones with drivers and stuff but not the main xp disk. so i am realy in a jam here. i realy dont know any info about my puter but i can look up my exact one online if anybody needs more info about it i have the book but dunno what info is in it if any. theres a little bit more info in my profile its a dell desktop 2003 home edition. Also i dont know how to get to the dos where you can search your files i think i have but i dont know how i did it but it does work if i needed it and if i can find how to get to it again. im using someone else's puter i can only save files to my flash drive and/or cd-rw. THANKX.

Advertisements

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

Welcome to Geekstogo. My name is Salagubang and I'll be helping you with this problem.

I am still a trainee so all my posts will be checked by an Expert. It's your advantage that there are two people looking at your log but responses may be a little delayed so please be patient.

• Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you
  • English is not my first language, so please do not use slang or idioms, as this makes it difficult to understand for me.

Step One

On a clean XP machine

• Please do the following:
  • Go to Tools (drop-down menu at the top of the window)
  • Go down and click Folder Options
  • Click on the View tab
  • Find the Hidden Files and Folders, find "Hide extension for known file types" and uncheck it (if it's already checked)
  • Click Apply, and then Ok at the bottom.
  • Close the window

Next

• Insert your USB Flash Drive (UFD).
  • Download hpusbfw.exe to your Desktop.
  • Double click "hpusbfw.exe" to run HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.0.6.0.

Posted Image

• Choose your USB under "Device"
    • For "File system", choose "FAT"
    • Under "Volume label", type in the name "Bootloader"
    • Leave un-checked "Quick Format" and "Create a DOS startup disk"
    • Click "Start"
  • Copy these two files, from the root of the Windows drive (C:\) to the UFD:

NTLDR
    Ntdetect.com

Next

• Open Notepad (go to Start>All Programs>Accessories and click Notepad)
  • Copy the contents of the codebox below using CTRL+C (or selecting all the text in the box, and right clicking on it and selecting Copy)
    [boot loader]
    timeout=-1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="A) Emergency Boot Loader" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="B) Emergency Boot Loader 2nd Partition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="C) Alternate Boot Loader" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="D) Alternate Boot Loader 2nd Partition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos

• Now return to Notepad and use CTRL + V (or rightclick on the whitespace and Paste) to paste the script
  • Verify that you have pasted the complete script
  • Save the Notepad file to the UFD as "boot.ini" using Save as Type: All files

Your Emergency Bootloader is now ready.

Booting using the Emergency Bootloader.
  • Insert the USB (UFD) to the ailing computer.
  • Reboot the system using the UFD Bootloader you just created.
  • Depending on how the harddisk is partitioned, choosing (A) Emergency Bootloader will most of the time do the trick. If however it doesnt work, please try options B,C and D

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from USB follow the steps here

Step Two

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Download the following file scan.txt to your Desktop.
    Attached File  scan.txt   311bytes   348 downloads
  • Double click inside the Custom Scan box at the bottom
  • A window will appear saying "Click Ok to load a custom scan from a file or Cancel to cancel"
  • Click the Ok button and navigate to the file scan.txt which we just saved to your desktop
  • Select scan.txt and click Open. Writing will now appear under the Custom Scan box
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

Edited by Salagubang, 27 December 2010 - 07:52 PM.

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a problem.
i made the flash drive just like you said and booted from it. Here is what is says. for A),B),C) it says. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <windows>\system32\hal.dll please re-install a copy.
AND for D) it says. Windows could not start because of a disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
ALSO i have the following program installed this program in on my other flash drive its called PLOP Boot Manager v5.0.11 www.plop.at With this program i still cant boot up normally. im not sure if i need to un-install it or not i havent tryed to un-install it yet.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

On the clean computer.

• Download the attached Scan.txt and save it to your USB stick.
    Attached File  Scan.txt   440bytes   323 downloads
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD

On the infected computer.

• Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :D
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click Custom scans and fixes box, a dialogue box will appear. Choose the scan.txt saved previously on your USB drive.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If i have to change the boot sequence and enter bios by pressing F2 I might not be able to change anything because mine is setup with a password and i have forgotten the password to be able to make changes in the bios.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Try using F12 to bring up the one time boot menu.

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Normally my boot manager boots up my computer Instead of letting it i pressed f12 as soon as the computer started and i chose cd-rom it went to a black screen and said File siside.SYS caused an unexpected error (47872) at line 5964 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c. press any key to continue. Also at the bottom of the screen it flashed a messsege i couldent get all of it it went away too fast, it said press f6 if you need to install a third party-. i couldent get the rest of that.
When i booted From my PLOP Boot Manager it said it was inspecting the configuration or something like that and then it just stayed blank for hours nothing happened at all. Would it help if i some how could un-install my boot manager? I have not been able to turn passowrd off to set my computer to load from cd-rom first so i either press f12 or chose cd-rom in my boot manager. I am able to get to my f8 now but the restore and last known good configuration and safe mode options doesent work it still goes the the same error messege.

Edited by marlana, 30 December 2010 - 05:13 PM.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

Restart your computer with Automatic Restart on System Failure disabled
  • You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears.
    Use your up arrow key to highlight "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" then hit enter

• If windows failed to boot, windows will not restart and will show a blue screen indicating the source of the error as shown in the example below

Posted Image
  • Copy the technical information (as shown in the above example enclosed in red boxes) and post it on your next response.

Now regarding the error

File siside.SYS caused an unexpected error (47872) at line 5964 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c. press any key to continue

What type of CD did you use to burn OTLPE, CD-RW or CD-R?

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There wasent a blue screen it said Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <windows>\system32\hal.dll please re-install a copy.
I used a cd-rw.
I have a dell computer disk that lets me get into my computer it is like mos-dos where i can copy files to the right places and i can see the dir in my c:\ or d:\ and so on. so if i neded to copy my missing file to my flash drive and copy it some where on my computer i think it may be possible if i knew where to copy the file and how to type it in correctly.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edited by marlana, 01 January 2011 - 01:52 PM.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts

I have a dell computer disk that lets me get into my computer it is like mos-dos where i can copy files to the right places and i can see the dir in my c:\ or d:\ and so on. so if i neded to copy my missing file to my flash drive and copy it some where on my computer i think it may be possible if i knew where to copy the file and how to type it in correctly.

Yep, we'll be needing the working computer to download and copy files from although our problem is that the ailing computer resist to boot.

Try this instead of the CD.

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from one of the following links and save it to your Desktop: mirror1 or mirror2
    • Download PetoUSB from the following link and save it to your Desktop: http://www.4shared.c...ToUSB_3008.html
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image
  • Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image
  • Please also decompress PetoUSB to your Desktop.
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Double-click PEtoUSB on your desktop to launch it.

• Note: If you are using Windows 7, you must run PEtoUSB using XP compatibility mode. To do this:

• Right-click on the PEtoUSB icon on your desktop and choose properties
      • Then, select Compatibility from the tabbed menu at the top of the properties page
      • Now, tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for..." box and select the OS you wish to emulate. For most applications, it will be Windows XP SP2. Once you are done, click OK
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image
  • Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

You may proceed with my last instruction. :D

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did it there was not a windows xp option so i made it windows 95 instead because i dident know which other one to choose. However. I can get to my old files but it says theres not enough space to add more files and programs how do i add more space? i have two memory cards on my puter already should i get memory cards with more space on them would that work so i can add programs and internet. Should i do it over again and add a different version of windows? 95 was the first option in that list.

Edited by marlana, 12 January 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

What version of windows is installed on the clean PC that you are using? If its windows xp, you can skip the compatibility mode and just run PEtoUSB normally?

However. I can get to my old files but it says theres not enough space to add more files and programs how do i add more space?

By this do you mean you were able to boot into the ailing machine and can see the contents of the harddrive?

Edited by Salagubang, 12 January 2011 - 06:51 PM.

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The clean computer is microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 3 the computer is a dell. Yes before i was able to get into my orininal c: and d: drives but i couldent use any of the programs because it said they were not installed but all of the instalation files where in there, mabe it said that because there was no room to re-install them programs to run them it seemed the x drive would not run programs because of not enough space and the programs couldent run in mos-dos or something like that and i had to install a microsoft program or something first to run programs.