Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Beeps, won't boot. Step by step help please?

• Please log in to reply

*belinda*

*belinda*

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Last week I bought a second hand pc with windows xp, that's about all the informtion I can give. I have used it over the last week with no problems. Today I went to boot it up but just get 3 long beeps then a pause, 3 long beeps etc, nothing comes up on the screen.
So I have found a few different threads addressing this problem but as I have never seen the inside of a computer I don't know what to do. I don't want to pay someone to fix this problem if I can do it myself. Is anyone willing to tell me exactly what to look for and how to fix it?
Thanks for your time,
Belinda

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello belinda.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

First thing is to check the connection from the keyboard to the back of the computer.
If that is stuck then is there something sitting on the keyboard?
Is there a stuck key on the keyboard?
Can you try a different keyboard?

*belinda*

*belinda*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again, thanks for your welcome and quick response :D
The keyboard plug didnt seem to be loose but I unplugged and replugged. There is nothng on the keyboard and no keys seem to be stuck. I don't have a spare keyboard to test, I only have the laptop I'm using.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The beeps you here are normally signaling a keyboard error.
The easiest way to check it is to try another known working keyboard.
Since you have provided very little information on the system I am inclined to believe we are talking about a desktop system correct?
Make and model of the system?
PS2 or USB keyboard?

*belinda*

*belinda*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry for not stating it earlier but yes it is a desktop pc. I'm afraid I don't know how to get the info you are looking for. There is no brand/model info on the exterior of the computer. Only the the XP product key sticker. I know it is minimum of 4 years old if that's any help. I can buy a new keyboard tomorrow if you think that will help, otherwise I'm at a loss. Oh and the keyboard is ps2

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the system is not like a Dell, Compaq, Sony, Packard Bell?

*belinda*

*belinda*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No there is no indication whatsoever of a brand name. The monitor is LG which i'm sure is irrelevent, the dvd drive is an Lg supermulti but that's all that's written anywhere. Sorry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem as this tells me it is a custom built system. :D

Now the other option is that the KB connection on the mobo has died but there is no way to know that without testing it with a known working keyboard.
Can you borrow a KB for the test only or better yet take your kb and try it on another system? That will tell us if it is the kb or the connection on the mobo.

*belinda*

*belinda*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Being that it's midnight here I will have to leave it until tomorrow to see what I can do about testing my keyboard elsewhere or trying another one. I will get back to you with whatever I find out. Thanks for your help :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I will wait for your results.
Good luck :D