Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

EFI onto motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Ninja Arian

Ninja Arian

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So I have the MSI 890FXA-GD70. I've been hearing good things about EFI, such as more advanced menus and mouse support, and I want to know if my motherboard supports EFI. I've tried google searching, all I have been able to find are MSI boards that came with EFI and an article about how MSI offered free EFI to all of their mother boards since June 2008 (I think 2008). I haven't been able to find this update, nor find out anything more about it on their website. I had ever tried calling their tech support only to have the guy say he didn't know what I was talking about.... I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this and if I could somehow get EFI onto my motherboard. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :D

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Very doubtful, and with all due respect you don't need it anyway.
This is the so-called "modern day BIOS" for those who come into this thread. Eventually it will be the replacement for the traditional BIOS, but that isn't going to happen for a long while yet.

Any support that is going to be added will most likely only be present on the board from the outset, as it's an entirely new thing and I would be very surprised if it ends up on legacy hardware.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
Wikipedia: Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)
http://en.wikipedia....mware_Interface

In July 2005, Intel ceased development of the EFI spec at version 1.10, and contributed it to the Unified EFI Forum, which has evolved the specification as the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). The original EFI spec remains owned by Intel, which exclusively provides licenses for EFI-based products, but the UEFI spec is owned by the Forum, not Intel .[3][7]

Version 2.1 of the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) specification was released on January 7, 2007. It added cryptography, network authentication, and the User Interface Architecture (Human Interface Infrastructure in UEFI). As of October 2010[update], the latest version of the UEFI specification is 2.3.