Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

bartkalk

bartkalk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello and thank you in advance for any help you can provide to me.

I have a Dell Dimension E310 running Windows XP Media Center edition. The machine has two 160 GB SATA drives and is using RAID1. The drives are partitioned into two partitioned. An apparent virus had landed on my machine (a strange window at 640 x 480 resolution was on my screen when I came back to it after several hours with a message asking to upgrade my virus software (or something like that) in the XP balloon on the task bar. I didn't click on the message, tried the three finger salute (didn't get the task menu) and hard powered down my PC (mistake 1?). I then ran Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 at my Dad's suggestion (mistake 2?). Finally, when the Kaspersky Disk appeared to have hung after 4 hours, I attempted to shut it down, but the program hung at "Unmounting Hard Drives" and I hard powered down again (mistake 3?).

Upon restarting my computer, I had the NTLDR is missing message and pressing CRTL-ALT-DEL simply rebooted to the same thing again. After many hours reading this and other forums, I have found a way to copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.EXE files onto my C:\ drive, and am getting a message that HAL.DLL is missing. I have downloaded the recovery disk ISO file and can get into the Recovery Disk DOS prompt, but it doesn't put me at C:\WINDOWS, rather it puts me at C:\ and nothing I try (cd windows OR dir OR bootcfg OR chkdsk) works. When I try chkdsk /r, for example, I get the message of "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". However, with other programs (Norton Ghost Recovery Disk) I can see the files on my primary partition and have successfully copied important ones to an external HDD. Unfortunately, I can't see any files on the secondary partition, where I have some files I'd like to try to recover. Ultimately, I am ready to disable RAID and upgrade to Windows 7, but first I'd like to try to get the files from my secondary partition.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements