Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using disc defrag

• Please log in to reply

girlygenia

girlygenia

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello everyone, I hope your day is going well. My name is genia and I have few questions about using the Disc Defrag. I'm trying to get my family's computer cleaned up in hopes that it will run better and also I've been having a problem with a game and was recommend I use Disc Cleanup and Disc Defrag.

I used Disc Cleanup, however it took a long time. I know that the disc defrag is going to take longer. I was wondering if there is a free program out there that could help with the defrag as in make it a quicker process. And is there anything I need to be warned about before I start the defrag?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about the temp files, cache, internet history?
Disc defrag will straighten everything up but you need to get rid of the junk first to make it really effective.
If you don't mind I will give you some guidance first. :D
You have to check the programs that autorun in the background that you may not know about. These can use a lot of system resources thus slowing the system down even more.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

girlygenia

girlygenia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, thanks. Here it is. :D I hope I did this right, if not, you're more than welcome to let me know!

Edited by girlygenia, 28 December 2010 - 05:57 PM.

girlygenia

girlygenia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I did do it wrong, sorry. I will attach it this time.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh boy here we go. Lets of things we can get rid of in Autoruns. :D

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "RealTray"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

girlygenia

girlygenia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Quick question....I'm trying to remove some software from this computer but when I go the Control Panel and click add/remove programs it's taking a long time to load. What do you think the problem is?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on the amount of programs it may take awhile.
If it doesn't work try it this way.
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

girlygenia

girlygenia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you so much for your help. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome. Did the Revo Uninstaller help to uninstall the programs?

arborman

arborman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
To the OP: the symptoms you have described may also suggest a failing hard drive or one that has switched to PIO mode instead of UDMA.
It might be worth checking just to be sure.

Start-> Control Panel-> System-> Hardware-> Device Manager-> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
Right Click IDE channels-> Properties-> Advanced Settings and check whether the hard drive is operating in UDMA or PIO transfer mode.
More info here http://winhlp.com/node/10

PIO is slow (UDMA is the normal fast mode) and indicates drive problems so you may want to backup your data immediately and replace the drive.

If everything is okay, then run disk cleanup and a full defrag.
You can use CCleaner (free) for disk cleanup; it does a comprehensive job.
For defrag, I recommend a comprehensive automatic defragmenter such as Diskeeper 2010 (not free, but the trial full versions can be used free for a month..it should serve your purpose). Since it's automatic and works in the background, you don't need to worry about defrag times.

Good luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 3 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

girlygenia

girlygenia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry! I haven't been back to my mothers house to reply or try the Revo Uninstaller. I will work on it tonight or tomorrow and let you know. :D Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I am still monitoring your topic. :D