Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"imminent failure" at boot up

• Please log in to reply

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I've been having problems with my hp pavilion laptop for sometime. Finally restored it, wiped everything clean. Started it back up, put Norton 360 on it, and itunes. Didn't have much of a problem importing a few CD's.

A day later, the computer compleeley freezes up upon startup. Can't run Norton, or any other program.

Now, upon startup, i get a messege almost immediately with:

1720-S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive detects imminent failure
Please back up the contents of the hard drive and run HDD self test in F10 setup.

When i reboot, and press F10, I get a 'PhoenixBIOS setup utility' there is an optionin 'tools' that allow me to do a Hard Drive Self Test'. When I run this, I get #1- 08 Fail

ugh.....

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to replace the drive ASAP. That message means the drive is failing or has failed.
If you continue to use it you take the chance of losing any data you may want to save.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Tbh, I don't know if this belongs in the 'security / computer won't boot' forum

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
All data has already been backed up on a portable hard drive. How does this happen?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hard drives are just mechanical components and they do fail. Some faster then others.
How old is the laptop and how long have you been having issues with it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How large of a capacity is the HD?
The price of hd's has dropped drastically over the past year and a replacement depending on the size should not be very expensive.
What make and model is the laptop and I can do some research and find a drive that is compatible for the system.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Laptop is 5+ years old. Had problems almost a year ago, after I had bought my wife a new laptop (the one I'm on now). Sat on a shelf since then. (Ooops?)

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
HP pavillion dv4000

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Laptop is 5+ years old. Had problems almost a year ago, after I had bought my wife a new laptop (the one I'm on now). Sat on a shelf since then. (Ooops?)

Ahh could be the time it sat but most likely since you saw issues a year ago it has just been a matter of time.
Once a hd starts to fail there is very little that can be done for it. Backing up the data and start looking for a replacement is the only option.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
How expensive could a replacement HD cost?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check out this page HERE at TigerDirect and you will see laptop hd's can be bought for 90USD plus shipping for a 320gig capacity.

160gb drive you can get for about 55USD plus shipping.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Much appreciated rshaffer61 :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. Please let us know if we can help you further. :( ;) ;) ;) :D

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
In the link you supplied (thank you!), there are 2 brands listed in my price range: Western Digital, and Samsung. Is there a difference in the brand?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm a Western Digital person myself but I did consider the Samsung drives when I built my new system this past January.
The question is what capacity are the two drives you are comparing?