Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win7 Ultimate Random Restarts + Random Error?

• Please log in to reply

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
My windows 7 ultimate desktop randomly restarts when playing games. It's never happened at any other time and I think it may be a power issue. Found some other threads that stated to use Event Viewer to locate the error.

Not only did I find the error
Level: Critical
Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Task Category (63)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

at the approprate Date/Time of my crashes...

I also stumbled upon the fact that I am getting a dozen errors every minute. The same error over and over.
Level: Error
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None

The Diagnostic Service Host service failed to start due to the following error:
A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration.

I have literally a dozen every minute, if not more. Any light shed would be wonderful. Does the first error imply I have a power supply issue? Any idea what the second is?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi strykerofchaos
Had you made any hardware or software changes before the issue started, updated any drivers at all perhaps, error 41 may be a driver conflict.
Here is a guide for dealing with Service Control Manager http://techsalsa.com...-manager-error/
I would recommend checking your system for a possible malware/virus infection, use the self help guide here first http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if it does turn out to be a malware issue and if after going through the cleaning guide you believe you have not resolved the issue you need to start a new topic at the malware forum, provide them with a link to here so that they can see what if any steps you have already taken, only post malware logs on that forum and only it you are asked for them, good luck I hope one of the above helps you to resolve the issue.

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I just updated to Windows 7 Ultimate from Home yesterday, so everything is fresh. The random restarts have been occuring I think since I bought it, I thought it was a heating issue at first, and it turned out to not be the case.

I think it's a power issue. I have a 700Watt Power supply with a 24A output for the 3.3V setting. Running a Nvidia GTS 250. If that's the case, I'll buy a new power supply.
Will look into the SCM link now. Thank ya :D

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Just a quick post...I followed the techsalsa link you gave me, followed the directions, ultimately deleting the same file as directed, rebooting, still get the error.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
What is the make and model of the present PSU?
Im sure you are aware that 700W is more than enough and the 24 amps on the +12V rail is bang on the button (you did mean +12 and not +3.3V didn`t you).

System Requirements Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)

Courtesy of the card manufacturer.

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

What is the make and model of the present PSU?
Im sure you are aware that 700W is more than enough and the 24 amps on the +12V rail is bang on the button (you did mean +12 and not +3.3V didn`t you).

System Requirements Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)

Courtesy of the card manufacturer.

No..for my +12V1 it's 21A and +12V2 it's 22A...so I guess it is a power issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Very possible that you are right in your assesment of a power issue then!
What is the make and model of the present PSU? Can you post this info for us.

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yeah, it's a Xion Xon-700p12n

Looking at a new power supply now. I googled the make/model and turns out it's not great. bought this desktop last year off newegg (iBuypower)
I'll just have to figure out how to install it next!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Here is a video showing you "how to" swap a PSU, what it doesn`t tell you is remove the power cord from the wall first;

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
You are a life saver. ^_^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
We aim to please :D
Had a look at a review of your 700W by respected PSU forum johnnyguru.com go straight to page 4 Summary;
http://www.jonnyguru...Story4&reid=109

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yeah, that is a slightly different model, but I doubt the review would be any different.