Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PSU (Upgrade)

• Please log in to reply

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello,

So it has come to my attention thanks to the help of this forum that I need a new PSU.
I thought I should make a new thread for a new topic/issue so here it is!
I know very little about computers (or did before I bought this one, now I'm learning) so thank you for your patience.

Currently,
I have an NVidia GTS 250 in my iBuyPower computer.
It runs a Gigabyte Motherboard Model: GA-P55M-UD2.
My PSU is a Xion Xon-700p12N. It has a dual rail +12V1/2 at 21A/22A respectively.
Apparently I need a +12V@24A on my PSU, and I don't want to skimp because I'd really like to play my games without my computer randomly rebooting in the middle of a fight. x_x

Are there any specifics I need to know, to make sure the PSU will work with my computer? I know PSUs have connectors, is it pretty standard or do I need to be sure I get the right kind?

Thoughts on http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139006 ?

Edited by strykerofchaos, 29 December 2010 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
My PSU of choice and it is solid :D

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
and it should work in place of the other PSU no issues with motherboard etc? Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes it is ideal, correct me if Im wrong but your MB is a micro atx is it not.

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
this is my MB http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3165#sp
I believe under Form Factor section that says it is a micro ATX

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Your current PSU can definitely output more than 24A on the 12V rails. I couldn't find exact info on your PSU, but a nearly identical one (possibly just a revision... XON-700P14N) can output up to 50A total on the 12V rails. If you could look on your PSU and give the info seen here, I could pinpoint exactly how many amps total your 12V rails are capable of, but it is certainly more than 24A.

Posted Image

And while the PSU you were considering is definitely a much better one, an upgrade isn't essential, especially since doing the upgrade might void your warranty. Speaking of warranty, if the company really did sell you a PC with a PSU that wasn't capable of powering it, I'd call them and get them to fix it before going out and replacing the PSU on your own.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
http://www.jonnyguru...=print&reid=109 Maximum of 20A on the 4th +12V rail.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817190027 58A on an independent +12V rail.
The two 700W PSUs from the same manufacturer are worlds apart performance wise, so I recommend a visual inspection to confirm the specs of the PSU presently fitted.

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
that's not quite teh one I have. though close.
3.3v @ 24A
5v @ 32A
12V1 @ 21
12V2 @ 22

Only two 12V Rails, not four.
Also, the computers warranty was up about 2 months ago, I just didn't start playing games that made it crash until about 4 months ago. Thought it was a heat issue.
the first few months the games I played weren't graphically intensive at all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
New PSU then or at least trying one capable of powering the whole system stably!

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
In that case, go ahead and get a better PSU. Something I've noticed is people always overestimate how much power they need. Your system would probably run fine on a high quality 500-550w PSU like a Seasonic S12II 520. It has quite high amounts of available amperage on the 12V rail; 40A on the 12V Rail, more than enough for most systems.

If you want a bit more headroom, a 650-700w unit should do nicely.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Everyone in this topic has missed the point of my post. strykerofchaos's PSU does have more than 24A on the 12V rails. While you cannot simply add the amperage on both rails, the rails aren't completely independent of one another. That is, your graphics card can draw power from both of the rails at once. No 700W PSU is going to have less than 24A on the 12V rail(s). That would be only 288W of power available on the 12V rail. That would be only ~41% of the PSU power being 12V power. That would be ridiculous, since the modern PC draws around 85% of its power from the 12V rail(s).

strykerofchaos

strykerofchaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Everyone in this topic has missed the point of my post. strykerofchaos's PSU does have more than 24A on the 12V rails. While you cannot simply add the amperage on both rails, the rails aren't completely independent of one another. That is, your graphics card can draw power from both of the rails at once. No 700W PSU is going to have less than 24A on the 12V rail(s). That would be only 288W of power available on the 12V rail. That would be only ~41% of the PSU power being 12V power. That would be ridiculous, since the modern PC draws around 85% of its power from the 12V rail(s).

'

But while that may be true, it's also true that my computer likes to randomly restart when playing games. My temps are fine, memory is fine...so even if the PSU is supposed to be good enough, it is not. :D