I have a HP Pavilion Elite m9062.sc Desktop PC with no hardware changes made.
I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit for a year without problems except for this.
- When the system turns the display off, the fan speeds up as the CPU usage would be 100%.
- The fan stays this way until the screen is turned on again (by moving mouse for example)
- After the display turns back on the fan instantly speeds down to its' normal state
- turn off the display: 15 min
- put the computer to sleep: never
- no screensaver
I have automatic updates on for Windows and Avira, which might check for updates when the computer is idle.
Anyhow, this shouldn't take as much resources as the fan noise indicates.. And after the checking is finished
the fan should slow down.
So, should I get my butt straight to the malware section or could this be something Win7 related? Bad chipset drivers or something?
Would someone here know a software which would log CPU usage of individual processes? With that info I could get on the right track.
Now the monitor takes just enough time to power up that the culprit can't be spotted on task manager.
Edited by tohtorizorro, 30 December 2010 - 06:30 AM.