Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

sere83

sere83

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi there,

I have an issue with my Belkin Wireless router. Details of the router and connection:

Virgin (UK) 10Mbps Broadband
Belkin Wireless N Router
Model: F5D8233-4v3

Now the issue I have is that the router kills my connection. When I use P2P applications like Vuze or Utorrent this happens almost instantly or after 10-20 minutes. I constantly have to disconnect the power supply to re-set. I tried lowering connections, all sorts of conservative settings in the applications etc etc makes a hardly any difference. It has not always been like this...

I also stream football matches over myp2p.eu. This also kills the connection regularly, maybe 5/6 times per match. Now while these are the main times it cuts off, it does also cuts off sporadically at random times too when I'm not even using any p2p services. Seems there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated as it's really annoying.

Many Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is more likely to be a router problem than anything else.
Plug the network cable from the Virgin Box straight into the back of the PC, bypassing the router altogether.

We cannot support P2P but for the normal web surfing, if this fixes it then the problem is with the router.

sere83

sere83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks for the reply.....Yes it clearly is a router problem, because when I unplug and re-plug it in everything works again. The light on its starts flashing immediately as soon as connection problems start too, but the lights on my remain as they should be.

But what I'm trying to figure out is how I can fix it? (As I say it's not only P2P that stops it, it also cuts out randomly when streaming video and other stuff)

Edited by sere83, 30 December 2010 - 07:43 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
For the cost of new routers these days they're not worth fixing. You may as well just buy a new one.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
For example: http://www.newegg.co...wireless router

sere83

sere83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks but is their really nothing I can do? It's not like it doesn't work the whole time, it works well for a big portion of the time.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Personally, when my <=$25 (<=£16) appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, calculators, ethernet switches and wireless routers stop working, I simply replace them.

(I'm sure that some could possibly have been repaired, but, I do not have the time, expertise nor the equipment necessary to disassemble, test all of the individual components for failure, find, purchase and ship needed replacement parts, and then reassemble everything successfully. For me it is much cheaper to simply replace the "el-cheapo" appliances).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Thanks but is their really nothing I can do? It's not like it doesn't work the whole time, it works well for a big portion of the time.

It'll be a board issue inside the router. Not fixable.
Your best advice is to replace the router.
If the problems persist on the new router, then shout at Virgin.

sere83

sere83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Many thanks for the advice. Can anyone recommend a good router at a reasonable price (preferably under £50 and not belkin) that I can pick up here in the UK?

Finding it difficult to actually find any universally praised routers in the reviews I found out there...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://www.microdire...ers_per_page=10

?