Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Pro won't shut down or restart

• Please log in to reply

gutzilla247

gutzilla247

• Pip
  • 2 posts
AHHHHH

The only way I can shut down my computer is Start>Log Off>Switch Users>and then select to turn computer off from that screen. Or holding down the power button.

If I go to Start>Turn Off Comp>Shutdown or Restart, the hourglass pops up for a second or 2 and then disappears and everything stays the same. Everything is still accessible, and its like I never tried to shut down at all. Same thing happens in the task manager. i select Shutdown at the top and theres the hourglass and then back to normal. NOTHING!
I have scanned previous threads and found one that seems like it was the same problem from calmingember on May 9th. http://www.geekstogo...own-t23474.html
GerryF began to help and I have followed his direction.

After I run eventvwr.msc from the run command, the event viewer comes up and under the System log, I don't have any red Xs but when I attempted to shutdown/reboot, the following is what is listed...

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: USER32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1073
Date: 5/26/2005
Time: 10:23:29 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ALYSON
Description:
The attempt to reboot XXXXX failed (The attempt to power off XXXXX failed)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

I follow the link to the Help & Support Center and this is the results

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1073
Source: USER32
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: WARNING_EW_SHUTDOWN_CANCELLED
Message: The attempt by user %2 to restart/shutdown computer %1 failed

Explanation
This event is written when a user or application attempts, but fails, to restart or shut down the computer by using either the graphical user interface (GUI) or the shutdown command.

User Action
If you still want to restart or shut down the computer, save any open files, close any applications that are running, and then you can:

Use either the graphical user interface (GUI) or the shutdown command again.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then while pressing CTRL, click Shut Down to force a shutdown.
Press the reset or power button on the computer.

NO Help whatsoever!

This just started happening about a week ago and I think it might've coincide with installing SP2. Not sure what day it started. I have tried so much!
Sorry such a novel but wanted to give ALL the info I know.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated! :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

scroll down to
NEW PROBLEMS INTRODUCED BY SERVICE PACK 2 (SP2)

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I was wondering if this is not related to the sp2 install if the following would make sence :

Perhaps a program is disallowing the shutdown?...

There always was a problem with various programs trying to shut down and
caused this type of a problem. It was supposed have been corrected with XP
but the only thing different is now it happens just occasionally, as you
said, rather than many times with older versions.

Instead of the normal shutdown I always use a shell shutdown that doesn't
cause the problem. Right click on open area and then 'new' and 'shortcut'.
Create it with "%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01" and then click
this new shortcut to shutdown.

Does it shutdown after doing this?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Also see:
http://www.theelderg...ssues_in_xp.htm

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q305788

gutzilla247

gutzilla247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Gerryf and djgotee-thank you both for the suggestions

djgotee- I tried the link and it still won't shutdown. It does do something though-a windows pops up for a moment stating -System Shutdown This systems is shutting down. Any unsaved information will be lost. The shutdown was initiated by Computer name/user name.

Then the window disappears within a second and the desktop still respond but nothing happens. No shutdown.

Gerryf- Thank you for the links.when I googled this problem, I found a few of them (how I found Geeks To Go). But when I read on, everything dealt with start up issues or the computer hanging/error messages popping up.

From what I have read, it seems the likely culprit is within the device manager. In the next week, I am upgrading the hard drive to 80 GB. Since this is an IBM, I don't have the Windows XP Pro software and will be contacting them to get assistance in swapping out the two drives.

Do you think when I do the switchero, the problem will continue or is there a possibility it'll go away with the old hard drive?

I went into the system Configuration Utility and selected under the General Tab, the Selective Startup. When I deselected the Load System Services, it turns off just fine.

Under the services tab in the System Configuration Utility, there are approx. 84 services. I know I can go thru and test each service and shut down and restart to see which one is preventing shutdown but that'll take FOREVER. Before I begin that task, I want to make sure the problem won't go away with the switchero of the new hard drive.

Thanks again for the assistance. I am no computer wiz but up until now, have been able to correct most of my computer glitches. I guess I should be thankful the problem isn't affecting the operation and is something I can work with if necessary.