Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

nessa1422

nessa1422

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Running XP. Computer shut down ok a few days ago but since then, have been unable to use.
Starts up and gets as far as black screen with 'we apologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully etc ...'
Start Windows normally is highlighted and counts down then the whole thing starts again.
I have tried to start in safe mode and the last known configuration, but the same thing happens.
Was perfectly fine previously, so can't think why this would happen. Did not download anything or load anything new, so would really appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Ness

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
What kind of computer is it Desktop or Laptop (model name would be useful), did it come with XP already preinstall or you have an XP cd.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try this:

• Boot the computer from your Windows XP CD.
  • When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.

Note: Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
  • Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
  • Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and then press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
  • Do not press any key to boot from CD if and when such a message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;315341

Repair XP
http://www.webtree.c...Existing Setup:

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Is a desktop Mesh. XP was already installed.
Thank you for the quick reply, and your English is a lot better than my French, so no need to apologise.

Ness.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Just to add reply to Spware Dr, I don't have the disc so unable to follow your suggestions.
Thank you,

Ness.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
What you will have to do is find an xp cd with the same service pack as yours and follow Spyware dr instructions.

If you cannot borrow a cd of xp then your only option is to reinstall xp fresh from your recovery partition (preinstall usually have either a recovery partition or a recovery cd) so it will be like when you bought it.

you can save your personal data by connecting your hard drive as a slave to another computer and copy your personal data to that computer then reinstall your hd as master on your computer and follow the recovery option of your pc to reinstall xp.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Thank you. I will try and find a disc.

Ness.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Would just like to ask if this is the kind of disc that would help?

Thank you,
Ness

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Nope, not even close. The real thing, (by Microsoft), has sort of a holograph look on the CD. Examples here:

http://www.google.co...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Make sure you borrow the right one. ("Home" or "Professional" version, as well as the same Service Pack number).

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Ok, thanks. Will ask around and try and dig out my original stuff from when I got the computer, but have had it several years so could be anywhere!

Thanks,
Ness

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Could I ask how I can find out which service pack I need please?

Thanks,
Ness

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Hi,

Could I ask how I can find out which service pack I need please?

Thanks,
Ness

If you don't know, I'd try SP3 (Service Pack 3) first.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Just to say someone is kindly sending me a disc so I shall attempt recovery when I receive it and post the results.

Thanks,
Ness

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Excellent. :D