Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop doesn't turn on at all

• Please log in to reply

Twinbird

Twinbird

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I'm posting this in other forums too just to get as many responses as possible.

Sony VAIO PCG-384L doesn't turn on at all when I press the power button.

I tried taking out the battery and disconnecting from power and holding down power button for a few seconds and then plugging it back, didn't help. I tried powering on without battery, didn't work. I took the laptop apart and reseated the CPU, cleaned the dust out, and tried powering on without CD drive, HDD, RAM, and battery (connected using DC adapter).

I tested the adapter with a multimeter and it is outputting about 19.3V and the light on the adapter is on whenever it is plugged in, so the adapter seems to be okay.

What could the problem be?

Could the motherboard be dead? If the CPU was fine and the mobo still works, the laptop would at least partially turn on, right? (because right now, not even the LEDs come on). Could there be some short circuit, because looking at the board, I don't see anything that could be causing a short circuit.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like a dead board.
CPU's very rarely fail these days. If it's a dead board then I'm sorry to say but the laptop will be scrap.