Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD/CD Burner Burned Out?

• Please log in to reply

Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Greetings and salutations,

My DVD/CD burner has given me grief since I received my computer a year ago (and why I failed to return the [bleep] thing is beyond me, but I digress).

Just to get the specs out of the way: I've got me a Hewlett-Packard, p6280t with 6GB of RAM, an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).

Initially, the DVD/CD drive couldn't recognize blank CDs at all. After reinstalling the thing several times, however, it finally began to work - that was 12 months ago. While the recognition problem has resurfaced on occasion, it typically rights itself after I reinsert the CD or reinstall the disc drive. However, a new problem has reared its ugly head...

Now, when I use Windows Media Player to burn a disc, I find only 3 to 4 songs will actually play while the others just hang up my CD player...and Windows claims these burns are "successful." A similar statement of success is made when I use Power2Go to burn a disc, regardless of the fact that said program can't even manage to get ONE song to play properly.

I assume that all of this nonsense stem's from a defect in the disc drive, but I wanted to be absolutely certain before I buy a new one, which is why I'm here bothering you, the good people of Geeks to Go.

Thoughts?

Edited by Sardonicus, 31 December 2010 - 02:07 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,762 posts
Hi.

It could actually be a problem with the CD or DVD DISC'S rather than the player. If you could acquire a couple of different branded disc's from friends, try a burn to them Should this step fail.

Download this software which has a diagnostic too. included. Try burning disc's using this software. When you find out everything there is to know about your burner you may be able to get a firmware update for it. > http://www.tomsguide...,0301-1390.html

Edited by iammykyl, 31 December 2010 - 03:09 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Brand new CD/DVD Burners start at $15.99, with Free shipping, at Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.co...ers&Order=PRICE

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,762 posts

Brand new CD/DVD Burners start at $15.99, with Free shipping, at Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.co...ers&Order=PRICE

Yes, the simplest solution but could you end up with the same problem if there is something wrong with the media?

Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for the swift response, Iammykyl.

The CDs certainly aren't defective - I've used them to burn albums on two other computers. While I've considered the possibility of problematic CD brands, I can't imagine HP producing DVD/CD drives in 2009 that are incapable of burning onto Memorex CD-Rs (especially since my buddy's antiquated, no-name computer handled the task just fine).

I'll definitely give that diagnostic tool a whirl while I'm nursing a massive hangover tomorrow.

But what I'm really trying to figure out here, however, is whether or not this problem could be related to a software/OS compatibility issue. Any Windows 7 (64) users out there want to chime in?

Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Unfortunately, the VSO Inspector didn't detect any problems, but it did alert me to the fact that my CD/DVD drive is actually made by Samsung (model no. TS-H653R), not HP.

In addition, I discovered a new wrinkle to this conundrum today - It seems that all of those previous discs were, in fact, successfully burnt - they played just fine on my PC. The problem arises only when I pop them in my CD player. This leads me to believe that, for whatever reason, some, if not all of the songs on a given CD are either being copied in mp3 format, or there's some sort of problem with the disc finalizing procedure. While I'd like to conclude that the problem is actually software-related, the fact that it occurs when I'm using either WMP or Power2Go prevents me from doing so.

I haven't ruled out Windows 7 as a potential culprit, either. I read a number of posts from users that claimed they could burn discs just fine before downloading various updates. But to my dismay, the solutions were scarce, and the only one I hadn't already tried didn't apply to me (i.e. there were no upper and lower filters to delete in the suggested registry key).

I'm really at a loss here.

Edited by Sardonicus, 01 January 2011 - 11:12 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
If there is a mechanical problem with the drive, (even if it's just a single, itsy-bitsy flaky/failing/fried component), no amount of fiddling around with any software is going to be able to fix it. :D

Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Are you certain it's a mechanical issue?

Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Seriously? This is all the help I'm getting here?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,762 posts
Without some sort of test bed, nobody can be 100% it's a faulty drive.

If you can try the drive in another computer and it still plays up I would say it is mechanical

Edited by iammykyl, 03 January 2011 - 11:50 PM.

Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yeah, I was afraid somebody was going to say that. The only way I could really test it out, however, is to take it to a tech since I don't have any beater PCs lying around...Ah well, probably won't cost me more than a Benjamin to do so anyway. Thanks for the assistance, Iammykyl - I 'spose this thread can be closed now.

Edited by Sardonicus, 04 January 2011 - 01:37 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,762 posts
Sorry it was a fizzer.

For a Honey Bee you cold buy a new one.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
???

"Taking it to a Tech" that would have the necessary test equipment and expertise to repair it would cost you far more than $15.99.

Personally, when my <=$25 (<=£16) appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, calculators, cd/dvd burners, ethernet switches and wireless routers stop working, I simply replace them.

(I'm sure that some could possibly have been repaired, but, I do not have the time, expertise nor the equipment necessary to disassemble, test all of the individual components for failure, find, purchase and ship needed replacement parts, and then reassemble everything successfully. For me it is much cheaper to simply replace the "el-cheapo" appliances).