Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC build

• Please log in to reply

mike997765

mike997765

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello all
This is my first PC build . I'm having trouble deciding which motherboard to use. I would appreciate any input for this build. Both Motherboards have video, so I won't be adding a video card. Please point out the pro's and cons of each Motherboard.

Motherboard
MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.
Newegg link

OR

MSI 880GMA-E53 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg link

CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX.
Newegg link

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL.
Newegg link

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Model #:WD6402AAEX. *** What do they mean, "BARE DRIVE"? ***
Newegg link

PSU
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply. **** IS THIS PSU LARGE ENOUGH? ****
Newegg link

Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case.
Newegg link
I will be recycling a CD/DVD RW with IDE serial.

I will be installing Windows 7.

Do you see any problems? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Edited by mike997765, 31 December 2010 - 10:38 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What is the machine going to be used for?
You can get AM3 boards that will have two PS/2 ports on the back if that's what you want.

All current processors are 64-bit capable, and have been since, well, 2004 really.

"Bare Drive" means a drive on its own. No cables.

380w on a decent power supply should be fine, though I would personally look at something around the 450w at a minimum, if not 500w. Keep a decent brand power supply though such as Antec, Corsair or Coolermaster, and never skimp on them.

mike997765

mike997765

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The PC will be used for mostly web surfing. I download, convert and burn DVD's; while surfing the web. These tasks eat up lots of resources.

I will upgrade the PSU with a Antec earthwatts EA500 500W.

Thank You for clarifying my other questions.

Edited by mike997765, 31 December 2010 - 08:37 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Is there any reason you went for mATX board.

mike997765

mike997765

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The Mobo is based on a newegg build on youtube.

Youtube link

Edited by mike997765, 31 December 2010 - 09:50 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi Mike. Happy New Year.

Although we tend to agree on the site about the basics, IE no cheapo PSUs, quality parts, helping get what YOU want etc, we do often select our favourite branded hardware. My choices are personal and may differ from someones Else's. My selection will give you a better upgrade path and appeal should you decide to sell the computer.

Hello all
This is my first PC build . I'm having trouble deciding which motherboard to use. I would appreciate any input for this build. Both Motherboards have video, so I won't be adding a video card. Please point out the pro's and cons of each Motherboard.

Motherboard
MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.
Newegg link

OR

MSI 880GMA-E53 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg link

Thanks

The 890GXM has the latest Chipsets and features, slightly better graphics but missing some features from the older 880GMA,
if you already owned the older Mobo it would not be worth upgrading for the slight improvement. Here is a comparison page where you will also find 2 Motherboards to consider. My choice, No1, the Asus, No. 2 the Gigabyte if you wanted RAID in the future. >
http://www.newegg.co...5^13-128-435-TS

PSU. I think the most important part of a build. Comparison page with 2 more to consider. My choice, No1 the Antec 650, over the top for this build but, modular, more amps on the rails, would power almost any GPU. No.2 Antec 550. >
http://www.newegg.co...^17-371-020-S01

Case. I think you would be disappointed with the Rosewill. Cheap build quality, flimsy, noisy fan, not much options controlling airflow, PSU bay at the top.
Comparison page With 4 to consider. Pick the case with the features you like most. My choice. No1 Antec six hundred. No. 2 Antec three hundred. No. 3 Antec one hundred. No.4 Antec two hundred. > http://www.newegg.co...1^11-147-111-TS