Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Recovery Disk compatable with new motherboard & hardrive?

• Please log in to reply

rhaksha

rhaksha

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So I'm planning to upgrade my computer with a new Biostar Tpower motherboard and a new HDD. The only hitch is that my old HP computer that I bought from Best Buy came with Windows Home Premium 64bit pre-installed with a recovery partition but no actual Vista CD. My question is whether or not I could create a recovery disk and use that along with my activation key to install Vista on my new computer or if I need to buy a brand new Windows OS.

Thanks

-Dammon

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope since the OS was preinstalled it is theoretically married to the components that were installed originally.
The recovery also would have the drivers for the original mobo which most likely would cause the system not to boot with the new mobo.
My suggestion is to purchase a new OS and you may want to consider Win7 since it is more stable and secure then Vista.
Drivers for the new Mobo should be on a disk that you will get with the mobo and Win7 will load any other updates for those drivers also.

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That's what I was afraid of. Time to upgrade to Win7 then. Thanks for the speedy reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not knowing where you live I can only give you a suggestion on the price like HERE with Free Shipping.

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That's the site I normally go to anyway to purchase my computer gear. I went ahead and bought Home Premium full version however in case I need to switch computers again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear.
Yep the retail version will allow you to reinstall it as long as it is on the same system. If you change the mobo or another main part you may still need to reactivate it but that is no problem with the retail version.
:D