Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Putting OS on another drive!

• Please log in to reply

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello!! I need some help from a Geek. I use Macrium Reflect to back up my OS. I recently decided to restore a back up image of my C drive to my secondary drive. I opened this drive(E) after Macrium restored a back up image of my C drive on the secondary drive. I opened program files, found Mozilla Firefox,and I created a shortcut to my desktop. Now I have two short cuts of Mozilla. One is from C drive and the other is from E drive.
My question is. What happens when I use Mozilla Firefox that's on the E drive. Have I created a virtual drive, or am I crazy?? I hope this makes sense to someone. I understand that I have the same OS on two drives, and I wondering what advantage; if any, there is to all this. I wish I was better at explaining this.
Thank you friend!!

Advertisements

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello!! I thought this was a good question?? I guess not!!!

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I could also mount a image with Macrium Reflect that is a read only. Would that be better?? I thought this was a geek forum. Where are the geeks??

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
It doesn't really matter which drive Firefox is installed on, and/or run from.

Wikipedia: Virtual drive
http://en.wikipedia....i/Virtual_drive

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello again mate. Next time can you look a bit more carefully where you are starting these topics. I don't think these threads belong in Serious Discussion.

Nonetheless I am a bit confused. Why would you restore a backup to E: and be running them both? You haven't created a virtual drive... but perhaps you are a bit crazy? :D (Don't worry I am crazy too).

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Hello again mate. Next time can you look a bit more carefully where you are starting these topics. I don't think these threads belong in Serious Discussion.

Sorry! Please move to the appropriate forum. I'm not familiar with your forum!!

Nonetheless I am a bit confused. Why would you restore a backup to E: and be running them both? You haven't created a virtual drive... but perhaps you are a bit crazy? ;) (Don't worry I am crazy too).

I restored the image to E because I could, and I thought I might be creating a virtual drive. I'm not a geek and I didn't grow up in the computer world. I'm a 72 year old self taught old man.I try to learn some thing new every day. Yes I'm crazy :D Nice to know you are crazy too.
I use Macrium Reflect to back up my OS. Macrium will let me mount a image in Window Explorer. This is a read only drive. What happens if I use firefox from that drive to surf the internet. Would that be safer sense you can't add to that drive?? I have asked this question on other forums and I guess they think I'm crazy also because no one has answered me. I'm just trying to be as safe as I can be.
Thank you for your reply Troy. I'm sure I will learn some thing new !!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you are able, I suggest getting rid of that entirely. It's only going to cause confusion!

For a virtual machine you will want to have a computer that can handle it. (i.e. enough power to run 2x operating systems). Then you fire up your computer. Then you load the virtual machine OS. Do your internet surfing. Then when you are finished, you can choose to close and discard changes. So the whole session will not be saved to disk and won't be remembered. You never did it!

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

If you are able, I suggest getting rid of that entirely. It's only going to cause confusion!

Hello friend. I'm not smart enough to run a virtual machine.
"If I'm able to; get rid of what entirely??" I can mount that image or unmount it any time I want to. I can copy and paste from it, and it's not confusing me at all. I can run apps from it. It acts like another drive, except it is read only. I have reformatted my E drive and I only have one operating OS and that's on my C Drive. I have 8 images of my OS on a USB. They are all different. I can mount any one on them in Windows Explorer.
Thank you for your reply.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I mean basically unmounting them then. I don't think that this is any safer at all. It is just a way of restoring data if you have deleted it accidentally (i.e. mount image, restore what you need, unmount). Or recover in case of HDD failure or something.

If you aren't smart enough to run a virtual machine, perhaps do some research into sandboxing.
http://www.google.co...42c33c885e5e233

Lots of fun.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello friend!! Now I understand what your saying. I think you are right about that! It was just some thing this old man thought might be a way to surf safer. I get crazy ideas.

I've thought about that. I tried it once and had a terrible experience. I'm going to leave that to you young guys. I don't do that much testing with new Apps, I pretty much have my PC like I want it. I can recover from a dead HD or restore a image that I know is free from infections.
I have really enjoyed your reply's friend. Maybe we can start a new topic soon.
Thank you Troy!! PS I was hoping that I had found a safer way to surf the net, but you blew my theory to pieces. I'm just half crazy :D
I tried to add your quotes but some thing screwed up. I hope you understand my post. Thanks Troy!!

Edited by garybear, 10 January 2011 - 12:14 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, I understand.

Keep at it though mate. I can't have you half-crazy when I am a declared madman. :D My boss has me chained to the workbench hiding out the back of the shop haha!

Cheers.